What's new
What's new

Keeping in touch!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devonboy

Plastic
Hello All,

I first wrote in April as I'd just acquired my FP1 and it had a collet adaptor stuck fast in the horizontal spindle. Many thanks for all the helpful suggestions, it came out without too much bother once I'd romoved the drawbar and made a threaded puller. The best advice, thanks, was to buy a collet sleeve with a threaded extractor ring which of course works perfectly.

I sorted out the electrics with a Teco inverter, 240v single phase in, 415v three phase out and realised that I could connect directly to the motor's high speed windings. I now have soft start, braked stop, variable speed and reverse. So useful for solid tapping. I don't reduce the speed much below 50% but the power loss isn't apparent until way below that. I was also able to get rid of the enormous control box as I don't have anything else to run from it. The inside of that cabinet is like U boat technology and it weighed a ton and took up too much space.

I have a problem with the Acu-Rite DRO! Error code E2 comes up on X axis which I believe is dirt or coolant in the readout. I'm not looking forward to stripping it down, has anybody any words of wisdom on that or am I being unnecessarily cautious?

I took Bruce's advice and installed a winch as I'm not as young as I was but the only piece of equipment I've used so far is the dividing head, set vertical with the 12" face plate. Nearly everything I've done has been round but I can easily mount a vice on the plate.

My main message is: what a fantastic machine, compact, rigid, powerful, very accurate and extremely versatile.

Devonboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back