What's new
What's new

Lubricants for MAHO MH 600

Brian_Petersen

Plastic
Hi,

I have some questions regarding lubricants for my most recent investment, a MAHO MH 600:
(Some members call it an old mule! :eek:)

1. Recommended Main Gear oil is Mobil Vactra Oil Heavy Medium. Is it OK to use Total CARTER EP68?

2. Recommended H-drive oil is Mobil Velocite Oil No. 4. What would you choose from Total?

3. Recommended grease is Mobilux grease No. 2. Can I use AeroShell Grease 5 or 14 instead?

4. Mobil Velocite Oil ED seems to have be been discontinued and I cannot find any datasheet. Recommendations?

5. Is Total EQUIVIS ZS32 good for any kind of machine related lubrication?

6. Suitable plain bearing lubricant? My spindle has a tapered bronze and journal bearing.

I can get Total products from my work through our local supplier, so it's the preferred brand.

Thanks,

Brian

MAHO MH 600 Lubrication_1.jpgMAHO MH 600 Lubrication_2.jpg20170326_202428.jpg

Thanks Erik, it was a really cheap find, only DKK 10.500. The previous owner probably sold it because it had terrible runout, but I was able to fix it with help from the members and a good amount of elbow grease 😋

Lækker maho. Tillykke med den. Og til dén pris kan man ikke klage over en smule arbejde. Det er også sjovt at rode med, så det går nok. Og så får man jo også lidt bedre kendskab til den. Hvor i landet bor du?

Mvh

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lækker maho. Tillykke med den. Og til dén pris kan man ikke klage over en smule arbejde. Det er også sjovt at rode med, så det går nok. Og så får man jo også lidt bedre kendskab til den. Hvor i landet bor du?

Mvh

Hej Rasmus.

Tak, jeg var meget heldig og skulle kun køre 15 min. for at hente den på nordals. Normalt er sådan nogle maskiner alle andre steder i Danmark end her og jeg har også ventet længe. Jeg synes faktisk det er sjovt at rode med og man kommer ind under huden og lærer hvordan den er bygget sammen. Jeg kommer fra Sønderborg, hvad med dig?

Hilsen Brian.

Hej Brian.

Ja sådan har jeg det også. Der er aldrig noget hernede, finder jeg noget spændende, så er der Min. To timer, hver vej. Og aldrig mulighed for at læsse eller noget. Øv.
Jeg bor på Lolland. [emoji849] og der er desværre ikke så mange hernede der går og leger hobby maskinværksted. Så kunne være rart hvis der var en lokal man kunne snakke lidt med. [emoji851]

Vedr. Din smørring. Har du haft kontakt til total og hørt hvad de har af nutidig smøring der er tilsvarende den gamle?
Det må jeg af og til gøre, og vores leverandør er god og hurtig til at finde et godt alternativ. Så sent som i dag skulle jeg have en ny løsning til vores Pedersen fræser, som brugte Shell Tonna 27 i knæet. (Ved det, det er et underligt navn) [emoji2]. Men alle producenter har et alternativ til de andres, og alle de store kendte navne er normalt gode, og kan finde noget du kan bruge.

Ja, jeg kan godt forestille mig at der er langt mellem tingene på Lolland.

Jeg har fundet frem til to produkter fra Total, AZOLLA ZS68 og CARTER EP68 til gearkassen. De har mere eller mindre har de samme egenskaber som Mobil DTE Heavy Medium, så jeg skal bestemme mig for hvad jeg vil bruge. Azolla er noget billigere, men de skriver i det danske datablad at den kun er til lavtbelastede gear. Carter lader til at være mere dedikeret til gear og lejer, så det vil muligvis være det bedste produkt, det er trods alt kun 584 kr. jeg skal give for 20 liter!

Det kan godt være at det ville være en god idé at ringe og få en snak med dem trods alt :)

Would Total EQUIVIS ZS32 be good enough for the gearbox? I also have a mid-sized 80´s taiwanese lathe, would it suit it too?

I thought the main gear box specified an ISO 68 oil? The EQUIVIS looks like a suitable product, but you should try to match the viscosity that they recommend.

As far as that mid-sized 80's Taiwanese lathe ? have you got any more information on it? What does the manufacturer recommend? Often the same lathe was (is) offered with various different brand names (maybe you can find an equivalent manual).

I have a mid-80's MK lathe made in India - it specifies an ISO 32 oil, yet the Maho specifies the ISO 68 oil. They look like pretty similar gear boxes - perhaps the lubricant does not really matter? However, it is quite easy to get a product that is close to what the manufacturer recommended, so why not follow that recommendation? After all the cost of the oil is about the same, but any repairs can be quite a chore. In the overall scheme of things, the cost of the oil is relatively insignificant.

Hi Craig.

I got it pretty much all sorted out now. I also think that it's safe to say, that an ISO 68 oil will work for my lathe as well.

The Grizzly G0776 is fairly identical, new version of my own lathe and also specifies an ISO 68 oil. Looking at all the different "suggestions" I have come to a conclusion: I have a heated shop that is never below 20° C, so I can use a heavier oil without problems. Some people should probably use an ISO 32 or 46 oil if they are just standing under a roof in cold wintertime.

I bought Drosera MS 68 mainly for the gearboxes, Drosera MS 10 for the spindles and Arcanol Multi 2 for bearing lubrication.

I like the MS 68 because it is rated as a gear lube and a way oil and therefore I only need one product for multiple purposes. I will also use it for low-speed plain bearings (eg. the hand wheel shaft for the Y-axis rest in a plain bearing) and all other gears on the axis'.

Up until now I have spend my time cleaning out grease from a lot of oil points :rolleyes5: with good help from a pneumatic brake bleeder. My worst experience was the oil chamber with three wicks for lubricating the rapid traverse gears on the X-axis. The chamber was just packed with grease and it had nowhere to go! I should have taken a picture before the operation, but now it is cleaned up. I made some new wicks made from an old tea towel (and adjusted the length and cut off the fuzzy threads afterwards) :)

IMG_0099.jpg

Can I use the MS 10 for the H-drive or what do you use? The manual says to use an ISO 5 oil if I convert the Engler viscosity to Centistokes along with the temperature...

I've just realized that H-drive probably is a shortened word for "Hydrodynamic"-drive and a search on Google revealed that it's in fact a variable speed fluid coupling. Any "thin" viscosity oil will work and the higher the viscosity, the higher the output torque at the expense of more heat.

My conclusion is that the MS 10 is a very good candidate :)

Back