What's new
What's new

3M control, how much charging to keep parameters?

Mud

Diamond
My FP4NC w/siemens control has been apart for a while waiting for me to get to Moglicing and scraping the Y axis. I don't want to keep the power on any more than is necessary because the drive motor is disconnected. How often and how long should I have it powered on to keep the batteries charged? The batteries are just a few years old.

On the 3M, I don't know. But on the D11, I've had it disconnected for 2 months without it loosing parameters...might could go longer. That's with a fairly new Saft 3.6V battery on the CPU board. The Saft Ni-Cad does seem to hold a charge much longer than a typical 3.6V pack meant for cordless phones.

Suppose on a Dialog, you think it's charge is very low, how long would you leave it powered up to be confident it's fully charged?

Suppose on a Dialog, you think it's charge is very low, how long would you leave it powered up to be confident it's fully charged?
Dunno really, since I've never pulled the board the battery is on to check before and after voltages during a set time period. I ususally let my control run for couple hours and it's good for another couple months...but your results could vary.

I'm kinda casual about it since it's not all that much trouble to reinstall the parameters if I have to, as they are in memory on an old IBM Thinkpad I can just plug in and upload anytime. Actually the biggest hassel is dragging out that Thinkpad and waiting for what seems like all eternity for it to fully boot up !

What is the chance of getting a copy of those parameters for my Thinkpad?
My fp4nc is sitting waiting for a new shop addition to be finished and
I have no idea of the battery condition.So close and yet so far away.

What is the chance of getting a copy of those parameters for my Thinkpad?
My fp4nc is sitting waiting for........

I have an FP2A with Dialog 11 control.... even if you have D11 I would think there would be some differences in parameters. I should eventually have FP3NC/D11 parameters...which might work for your machine.

Sorry I just noticed you have a D11 control ,I have the D4.
I received several manuals with the machine but I cannot find a parameter list.

D4 has no parameters to load. They're all on the EPROMs. If you lose the the EPROM memory somehow, I think Deckel Doctor can help...perhaps Wrench, too.

I think there is ony one battery . it is on the letf end if your control inside the electical cabinet . it is behind the plate with a + and - on it inside is a nicade battery that is about the size of a c cell. if you can down load the parameters to a pc you could turn it off till you get back to it . and then reload them. The tricky part is getting the siemans pc to start again. I try to leave all my old electronics, siemans, dialog, anilam, trac readouts with power. My experience is they act flakey after a power down and repower up if something is going to happen it happens then. I do not leave the servos on only the control.
Dave

OK, I'll leave it on. But currently the spindle motor is disconnected, and when I'm disconnecting wires, I like to power down. What is the protocol then?

Yes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any electrical/electronic work all power off. Can save $$$$$$for an oops!(don't ask me how i know this)

Tie off the loose wire ends ..shrink tube or tape and re-power.

Cheers Ross

OK, but once I power it off, how long can I leave it off before the batteries go dead, and how long do I leave it on to charge them up fully?

It depends on the condition of your battery. I wouldn't leave it off any longer than needed.
If you download your parameters to a pc. the only thing you have to worry about if your battery goes dead is to get the cpu started again. then reload the parameters and you are good to go, hopefully. As i said before the battery is a nicad about the size of a "c" cell battery. I would think about a day to fully recharge it.
Hope this helps
Dave

Geez Louise, Diamond (a prominent member of the Deckel community) was just trying to be helpful, he's the only other in the thread that actually has a 3M running every day. Furthermore, He took the time out of his busy day to post and can speak from actual experience. Last I checked a D11 has nothing in common with the 3M aside from perhaps being attached to the same kind of iron.

This is the reason I have limited my posts. the 3m control is a totally different animal than the dialog. I would know I run both on a daily basis. just trying to help the guy out.
I will take time out to help anyone. but i don't need to be called a 12 year old over it.
thanks for the memories don.
If anyone needs info on d4 or 3m programming or machine problems email me maybe i can help without the nonsense in this website [email protected]
Dave DeAngelo

I will take time out to help anyone. but i don't need to be called a 12 year old over it.
You weren't....was just pointing out the statement was insulting to Mud's intelligence....like he couldn't figure out the condition of the battery mattered, so you have this brilliant revelation that you need to point this out ??

But hey, we all blurt out stupidly obvious things from time to time, including yours truly. But if someone calls me out on it, I will normally agree and take my lumps intead of getting all defensive about it.

Last I checked a D11 has nothing in common with the 3M aside from perhaps being attached to the same kind of iron.
Which is precisely why the first words from my fingertips were "On the 3M, I dunno, but..." :rolleyes5: What followed may have been helpful or it may have been irrelevant...but it wasn't blatantly obvious.

Back