What's new
What's new

Mikron WF2

adrian

Cast Iron
I was wondering if any UK members have or know where a Mikron WF2 is in the UK.

I am toying with the idea of changing my much loved and pampered FP1 for a slightly larger machine and I like the spec of the Mikron, but need to see one in action. Down side is parts and the Forum knowledge, Deckels are very well supported on both fronts.

cheers Adrian.

I was wondering if any UK members have or know where a Mikron WF2 is in the UK.

I am toying with the idea of changing my much loved and pampered FP1 for a slightly larger machine and I like the spec of the Mikron, but need to see one in action. Down side is parts and the Forum knowledge, Deckels are very well supported on both fronts.

cheers Adrian.
I've never owned one but have heard from a Deckel aficionado in AU those older Mikrons are a nicer machine than the Deckels of similar vintage. So rare however...have only seen one nice one for sale in this country, in all the decades I've been looking at Deckel style machines.

Adrian
I have one:D
Not a beaty So not on the website yet Dont know its condition eighter
But I have had several
3 axes powerfeed rapids and a quill Nice machines
Some people prefere the boxways of a Deckel however Mikron has a dovetail

Peter

Just toying with the idea at the moment, but really need to see one in the flesh so I can compare it to my FP1. Would be nice however to see any pictures and the price of the one you have Peter.

Out of curiosity do the larger WF2/3 and WF3 have dovetails as these are much the same in size and weight as an FP2 or FP3. The WF2 is a half way house between a FP1 and FP2 so dovetails are probably strong enough.

They are very nice machines indeed.
And would prefer it over an FP1 at any time.

Btw, have you taken a look at the Tos FN series? Similar type mills, but (here) cheaper and more common. Maybe the same in your area? Good value for the money

How about Aciera F4 or F5? I am biased. They are less rare than Mikrons and parts and accessories are available (for a price) from Luthy, Greub, and some others. The Acieras use standard ISO or NMTB 40 (or 30) tooling without needing unique buttress thread drawbars or drive lugs, and I think the vertical head design is better than Deckel’s. No horizontal quill, however. You can reverse the spindles no problem, as for power tapping. The power feed is driven by a separate motor and rather beefy gearbox.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been around in circles looking for a slightly larger replacement for my FP1 and keep coming back to the Mikron WF2 as the best option.

There was a Aciera F5 on eBay recently at a good price and after some research it turned out to be a scam. The Tos FN32 and Hermle UWF700 are good quality machines but very rare.

I like the late square head FP's as you don't have to lift the head off to go horizontal and bought a late square head FP3 which I thought would be my for ever machine, as I am retired and not as young as I used to be. However it turned out to be too bulky for me with my limited workshop space and unfortunately will have to be sold.

Small toolroom machines are at a premium, when firms close they go into private use and never see the light of day again.

I am not in any rush and one will turn up it's just a question of patience,

Do Mikron WF2 mills have a horizontal spindle behind the milling head, and do you move the head onto a swing arm to get it out of the way for using the horizontal output? Just trying to put 2 and 2 together from the pictures I've seen online, and i haven't seen a pic with the head swung out of the way, but the swing arm is clear to see.

The larger WF2/3 and 3 have a swing arm to move the vertical head to the side the reveal the horizontal spindle, however there's no quill feed like the Deckels. One good aspect is the tightening nut for the tooling is easily accessible on the side of the head, not the rear as with Deckel.

The smaller WF1 and 2 lifts off with a bit of muscle power.

The larger WF2/3 and 3 have a swing arm to move the vertical head to the side the reveal the horizontal spindle, however there's no quill feed like the Deckels. One good aspect is the tightening nut for the tooling is easily accessible on the side of the head, not the rear as with Deckel.

I own a WF2, in the Southampton area. My machine does not have the support arm for removing the vertical head, but it is easily fabricated (when I get time!).
I can vouch for the usability of the machine and it's beautifully made, with slow and fast power feeds on all axes, excepting the spindle, which is slightly limited with a stroke of 60mm.

I own a WF2, in the Southampton area. My machine does not have the support arm for removing the vertical head, but it is easily fabricated (when I get time!).
I can vouch for the usability of the machine and it's beautifully made, with slow and fast power feeds on all axes, excepting the spindle, which is slightly limited with a stroke of 60mm.

however there's no quill feed like the Deckels. One good aspect is the tightening nut for the tooling is easily accessible on the side of the head, not the rear as with Deckel.

These machines don't have both in my experience....
If you want a quill on the horizontal you have to deal with the rear fitted draw bar...(or power FP4MK)

Side mounted draw bar access, then no quill on the horizontal.....

For me the choice is simple...Gotta have that horizontal quill. Its a use thing i think. once you go there its hard to go back.....Having had the quill, I would really suffer without it now!

Cheers Ross

Gotta have that horizontal quill. Its a use thing i think. once you go there its hard to go back.....Having had the quill, I would really suffer without it now!

Yea, the one feature I wish my Hermle had more than anything. Would have been useful many times.

Hi DBG15, I am wondering if you ever got around to making up that support arm for your WF2. I am thinking of doing the same. Do you have drawings of it from the WF2 SA or are you going with your own design?

I have finally finished restoring my WF1 which has taken the last three years off and on and will start using it. I expect there will be pro and cons of usability over my Deckel and the biggest down side is the lack of accessories like a slotting head and the horizontal overarm which are as rare as rocking horse poo
Because I have lots of accessories for the Deckel collected over the years I will be keeping both machines.

Regards Adrian.

Back