What's new
What's new

Milling Machine: Rambaudi UR-60 information

beckerkumm

Hot Rolled
I posted here because the Rambaudi is similar to the Abene. I'm looking for any manuals, drawings, scematics, etc for the UR 60. I'm happy to pay for any copies made. Thanks, Dave

I've emailed Tony. Hopefully. Someone with an actual machine would be really helpful. I'm missing arbor supports and they will become an early project. Pictures and dimensions would improve my life. Dave

That looks like one solid piece of machine and very nice, just looked at tony´s place.
Be great to see some pics of yours, they are not common here for sure.
So by that I don´t have much help to offer on the dimensions or pics of the arbor supports. However, depending on what you aim (function or cosmetics) for and the use you intend they seem at least reasonable to make from scratch. Maybe even aluminium would do, layout the out dimensions, make the dovetail and bore out the bearing loctions. However the total distance seem rather long so I´d be cautious about al.

cheers!

I've emailed Tony. Hopefully. Someone with an actual machine would be really helpful. I'm missing arbor supports and they will become an early project. Pictures and dimensions would improve my life. Dave

Hi Dave,

Should Tony not be able to help you, try the current owner of the Rambaudi trademark, the company

JOBS

Best regards,
hudson-ch

Thank you. Most info I've found. The page with the lever and knob description is really helpful. If I can someone with an arbor support to copy, I'm golden. Dave

If I can someone with an arbor support to copy, I'm golden. Dave

Pictures in the brochure look pretty straight forward....You have the machine...just need the support to fit the dovetail and center on the spindle when its
set horizontal.....Pretty easy to just saw out a blank shape (like the picture)...mill in the dovetail fit the pinch bolt (saw cut in blank at 90* to the bolt) Put the clamp on the same side of the support as the clamps on the overarm...
Mount the blank and locate the exact position of the support bushing by using the spindle.... If the spindle does not have a quill...fit a tool makers button at a location
close to the bushing center...fit an indicator in the spindle and indicate the button in dead true...Remove the support and bore the seat for the bushing true with the button....
Relieve the bushing seat with a groove in the center to hold oil and connect by a drilling that will be vertical when the support is mounted....
Make the bushing to suit your arbors.... Drill for oil feed before fitting bushing into the support. Could fit a small slug of felt into the bushing oil feed drilling to retard the oil from running through....Orient teh feed hole
facing down when the support is mounted....

I would seriously consider making that support from "Jig Plate" aluminum (Mic6) ...don't need anything stronger and that material will be quite stable....
In all looks like pretty straight forward measuring , layout and construction project.
You have the mill...time to put it to work..
Cheers Ross

Thanks, Ross. The part I was interested in seeing how it was done, was the bearing type. Pictures looks a little like a needle or ball bearing with a bushing. I'm curious as to their design. I don't see an oil glass or reservoir for just a bushing so assuming there is a bearing. I'll have to look at how the K and T and Cincinnati made theirs. Dave

Plain bronze bushings are the norm on horizontal overarms....Low sped and better overall support....Balls or rollers not as good here IMO...
Deckel, Cinci and K&T All used bushings..
The Cinci setup uses a tapered (OD) bushing that is slotted and threaded on the outside...can adjust for wear by tightening the ring nut on the bushing...pulls it into the tapered housing , closing
up the ID....
Plain bushings are easy to make and inexpensive.....Can make them to compensate for wear on your arbor.....
Cheers Ross

I saw a video making the nut. that may be what I'm looking at on the Rambaudi picture too. Thanks, Dave

PS. If you have an interest. There are two youtube videos of the machine I bought. Look up cleveland machinery and you will be led to them. Dave

Last edited:
Thanks. I found a couple of cheap arbor supports that no one knew what machine they fit. Took off the tapered bushing and nut, long bolt to tighten, and oil glass and have all the parts to use on the new supports. the info helped me to narrow down what to look for and bottom feed a little. Dave

Abom79 on youtube machined a nut and stuff on one of his videos. Search for a video of him making a part for his K&T horizontal mill. The bronze bushings are cleverly designed so you adjust for wear/fit. I'd copy one of the existing designs.

The tapered OD bushings are nice. Trouble is that to use them you have to make a tapered seat for them to fit into.....
Could jig the part up on a face plate and bore the overarm body in the lathe provided you have the machine size...of if you own
a boring head capable of doing tapered boring...or i suppose you could turn a steel sleeve (lathe) , tapered on the inside and cylindrical on the
OD. then press/shrink it into the overarm body....

Really straight ID/OD bushings work just fine....Unless you are running that machine in production day i and day out suspect you will never need to replace or adjust
a plain bushing provided its made with a proper fit starting out.....

But what ever direction you go, make some photos and let us see your progress....

Cheers Ross

Been some months but at least I have the Rambaudi close to home. Here are pictures so far.DSCN3412.jpgDSCN3413.jpgDSCN3416.jpgDSCN3415.jpgDSCN3414.jpg

There aren't many pictures so I will post more when I get the machine if there is any interest. Dave

Nice MIll, hey becker hows that project comeing along? you may not know me but youve been talking to my brother David about my Ramboudi UR-60. I believe we sent you some pics and dimentions from the arbor we have on our machine. We barely got ours wired and running.

After six months on the " too hard " pile, I finally got the Rambaudi home and wired up. Before I got the controls figured out I blew a fuse on the machine disconnect. Tells me life will get worse before better. I haven't figured out the wiring enough to know if the 208 leg on my Phase Perfect is going through the controls. I would not expect that to blow a 30 amp fuse though.DSCN3461.jpgDSCN3462.jpgDSCN3463.jpg

I'm missing a handwheel and I think the black lever should be on the lower stud with a wheel where it sits now.

David was great to send me dimensions of the arbor supports. Hopefully he will know something about the wiring. Rambaudi owners are pretty rare. Dave

. I haven't figured out the wiring enough to know if the 208 leg on my Phase Perfect is going through the controls. I would not expect that to blow a 30 amp fuse though.

Dude.....buy a meter., gotta know what you have before applying any power You can't be guessing on the sparkie stuff....You'll let the smoke out....
Cheers Ross

I have a meter. I've got about 50 machines but most are old with simple AB or CH starters and easy to test the wires to the coil. I didn't expect the Euro controls to be as different as they appear. Will get it sorted out. Dave

Back