What's new
What's new

Moving a Deckel GK21

DJ2

Aluminum
I have a chance to get a reasonably priced Deckel GK21 pantograph. To move it I will use my Ford Ranger-size pick-up. The question is how easy is it to break down and approx. what is the weight of the base when stripped? I have overload springs on the truck however I would like to keep the load down to a safe level, several trips is OK. My FP-1 was easy to move in pieces, I'm hoping the pantograph is the same.

Thanks, Dan

I'm also about to buy a GK21, provided I can find a way of getting it into my shop - which is in the stair-access-only basement of a residential building! Any suggestions? How much - and how readily can these machines be disassembled for transport?

The top (pantograph piece) comes off as a unit and the bottom (base w/tables) can be fairly easily disassembled further. Still, the base without tables and slides will likely be the heaviest at about very roughly 200kg. You might want to build a ramp to slide the pieces down to your basement. Getting them back up might require a winch or pulley. I've had mine all apart but I never weighed any of it. I recall the total weight being roughly 500-550kg ... plus or minus. I used an engine hoist to get the top part off and to remove the vertical slides.

I moved mine fully assembled in the bed of my f250 and used an engine hoist to get it out at home (there are two 24mm threaded holes in the top of the base for eye bolts). As mentioned above, I think the base alone with everything removed would still be several hundred kg. There is a massive spring inside the base that is attached to the arm assembly to balance it during use - I haven't removed the upper assembly, but would be careful doing so as that spring likely stores quite a lot of energy.

And to echo Davis's note, the panto will swing all over the place if not secured. It is pretty heavy and could throw off your balance if it swings at the wrong time while moving.

Back