What's new
What's new

Moving a Deckel GK21

ancientbrass

Plastic
Hi, all.

I'm a brass instrument maker about to set up a home shop off the back of an old Belgian rowhouse, and am trying to figure out if I can get a Deckel GK21 (1040 x 1250mm / 41 x 49.2 inches according to spec) through a 72 cm / 28 in. narrow spot in the hallway leading to my shop. Looking at diagrams and pictures of these machines, I figure it should be possible to take off the tables and pantograph arms for moving, and carry it in piece by piece. Is that a reasonable plan? Or a fool's errand?

The only other option would be to have a crane in to lift it in through the roof, over 6 stories - which is going to break the budget, I'd imagine; if that's what it comes down to, I guess I'll write off the GK idea.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks and best wishes,
Nathaniel

Of course, take it apart. Tables and threaded assemblies come off OK. I tried to get the top end off but it was stubborn. It will come off but in the end I did not need to. This also makes it easier to clean and inspect. Just be careful, it is a top-heavy machine in one piece, so use friends for the heavy lifting. DO NOT take the bearings apart in the arms, remove the arms as one assembly.

Dan

Back