What's new
What's new

mystery tool, can anyone help?

thanvg

Hot Rolled
Hi to all,

could you please take a look at this strange tool that I found in my FP2's stuff? (that's the main reason I am asking here and not in 'general', though I can't see how this can be used on an FP2)

It seems like a tooling adaptor, but have no idea what kind of machine it is intended for.

One side has an internal taper (did not measure angle) and a 13 mm spigot internally threaded to M8.
Other end has a female 30 mm register and some thread further in.

It is marked Co Tools (searching for co tools online only provided a single picture I think of some other tooling), it is swiss made, brand new and amazingly finished.

Any ideas?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Thanos

It has a patent number on the box.
1. Go to google patents and search.
2. See that the patent title is "Set of elements combinable in different arrangements as working tools for machine tools."
3. Google the assignee "GENEVOISE INSTR PHYSIQUE", turns out to be the manufacturer of SIP equipment, most famously jig borers.

Part of the patent:

The use of machine tools provided with diverse securing means for the tools (Morse cones or others), and the needs of the working operation, which require the use of several different working tools and tool holders which differ especially by their type and by their length, produce a situation wherein, to respond to all possibilities, it is necessaryto have available a very large number of different tools.

The purpose of the present invention is to reduce the number of different tools while furnishing means permitting the operator to make, by means of different elements, the tools he needs.

The set according to the invention is characterized by the fact that it comprises a set of adapters, a-set of intermediary members and a set'of tool-holding heads, each adapter being provided at one of its ends with means permitting its mounting on the spindle of the machine tool and, at its other end, with means intended to receive the intermediary members which are of different lengths and/or diameters, the whole in such a way that by the combination of the elements adapters, intermediary members, and tool. holding heads it is possible to realize several working tools capable of being mounted on machines the securing means of which are different.

US382296A - Set of elements combinable in different arrangements as working tools for machine tools
- Google Patents

Hi to all,

could you please take a look at this strange tool that I found in my FP2's stuff? (that's the main reason I am asking here and not in 'general', though I can't see how this can be used on an FP2)

It seems like a tooling adaptor, but have no idea what kind of machine it is intended for.

One side has an internal taper (did not measure angle) and a 13 mm spigot internally threaded to M8.
Other end has a female 30 mm register and some thread further in.

It is marked Co Tools (searching for co tools online only provided a single picture I think of some other tooling), it is swiss made, brand new and amazingly finished.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Thanos

What you have are extension bars for boring heads made by CO (without "tools") which stands for Compagnie D'outillages De Precision S.A. The boring heads are very precise and because only the cutter moves out, they are reasonably balanced and can turn at higher speeds than the usual system where part of the head with cutter moves. I have a set with ISO30 fittings, and I attach a photo of the head.DSCN0632.jpg

Thanks guys, clear now. Taper end mates to the SIP spindle (external taper there) and register/threaded end is intended to mount tools.

Of not much use unless you own a SIP...

BR,
Thanos

Back