What's new
What's new

Need advice on CAD/CAM for 5 axis machining center, MultiCAM 8000 series

keithtash

Plastic
Hi Guys

i am currently trying to machine a tube on my Multicam 8000 series CNC router. I am machining in 5 axis and trying to machine around a tube but have an issue where it seems the Y axis is elongating when machining around the tube. The RhinoCAM software seems to be producing the correct cutting lines and the code matches the post processed file which makes us believe the problem is not in the post processing.

We have programmed the machine to cut 180 degrees around a tube which its completing without any issue however as explained above and shown in the image below the Multicam machining is not following the programmed profile, it is machining the top surface of the tube correctly however as soon as it moves directly off the Z axis and into Y it seems to elongate. we have investigated online and found references to Y axis scaling and we’ve tried programming in different ways with the same issue occurring. Do you have an idea of what the issue may be? The pic attached below could help show the issue i am having. any advice is welcome. Thanks

tube.jpg

Can't say exactly, but the path you show in the drawing looks like the tool path needed to cut the cylinder if cutting in 3 axis....(tip to side as the cutter moves down in "Z")
Tool path must follow the "oval" path to compensate for the contact change as the tool (ball end) changes from end cutting to full swarf cutting at the sides of the profile....
Sure you are programming in 5 axis? Looks like a straight 3 axis path to me.

Cutter path (defined at the cutter tip center) should be off the cylinder by the tool radius when it reaches the equator of the shape.....
Looks correct to me...of course no numbers so its hard to tell.....
Cheers Ross

Here is a picture of what im currently dealing with. The tool path and everything looks fine, the results i am getting are not matching what im telling the machine to do.
shaft.jpg

Back