What's new
What's new

New to me FP2NC - high pitched whine, interrupted start-up

sinusvag

Aluminum
Hope all is well in Deckelland.

I finally got new batterypacks soldered in and went ahead to start up my new-to-me FP2NC.

The first observation is that the initialize instruction doesn't seem apply when using pre-charged batteries (which I had in the packs). I cannot get any reinitializing feedback from the machine! In a previous thread, Ross said:

In mode 16 press the delete key,(red diagonal slashes) then the acknowledge key.(green diamond with
an arrow head )..Machine should then go into a testing cycle and start. You will need to reset the units
(mode 16) .

I tried the pushbutton sequence but to no avail. The delete key (red slashes) and the acknowledge key (green diamon w. arrow head) do work - I got feedback from them playing around in some other mode.

Anyhow, the machine drops dead when I tried going below mode 10. That is, the control just keeps on showing mode 9 regardless of where I turn the knob.

So my brother who is more adventurous started "booting" the machine repeatedly (using the "flash" button on the console) and finally something awoke. A high pitched whine which seems to come from the bottom of the column, left side. But still the same thing - as soon as I drop below mode 10 the machine stops responding.

I might add that we at least made some progress - the coolant pump could be turned off and on!

I added a video below. If anyone recognizes the whine in the second part of the video, please let me know.

Test #1 Deckel FP2NC - YouTube

Finally, as is shown in the video, relay K9 energizes with some regularity, only to turn off. This might implicate the hydraulics pump, but OTOH, wouldn't that pump be the thing emitting the whine?

Cheers!

It is hard to tell the sound from the video. It sounds similar to the normal whine that I hear when the servos are powered up on my FP2NC with Dialog 4. This happens in all modes except mode 1 or when graphic simulation is activated in mode 16.

Would try to re-initilize the e-proms....

Open the top of the operators console. Push the normal machine start button (left side of the console) I would try to start in mode 1 (hand operation) But if it will only start on mode 9 then use that mode....
With power on, Remove jumper K10 (wire tape that connects 4 boards Dialog 4)
Pull wire connector X120 (green connector to top of power supply board NSV, far right in card cage)
re-connect jumper K10, reconnect plug X120.
Turn to mode 16 and follow mu previous instructions as uou quote in post #1 above...

Hopefully this will get things going....

Cheers Ross

@Ross: Thanks! However it seems I am a bit daft. The reset instructions I read from you were for Dialog4 (I have a Dialog 3). For the person googling this in the distant future, see pics for resetting D4 here:

http://www.dialog5.com/resettingdialog4.htm

Perhaps there isn't any special reset needed for D3?

@rklopp: Yeah that idea did strike me too after reading your post. I haven't ever listened to this machine while up and running, and since the servo cards were lit green (later half of the video), it might be an electrical/mechanical switching noise from the servos I am hearing.

So...if I assume

1. that there is no fundamental reset needed or possible (the control power on starts up OK at mode 16-10)
2. that the whine is from the servos

that would mean that the thing to investigate now is the K9 flashing on-off periodically. That relay is for the hydraulic unit.

Would it be reasonable to think that a working FPXNC has the LED 50.8 lit all the time and the LED 73.6 lit too all the time?

(My situation is shown here in the video: Test #1 Deckel FP2NC - YouTube )

Cheers!

Back