What's new
What's new

Piggy back spindle mount

legoboy

Hot Rolled
I am going to mount a Makita trim router to the quill of my Deckel FP4NC and am looking for opinions on my design. I will be using this spindle for machining wood with mostly 1/8" shank end mills down to 1/64" dia. I will be fabricating the mount out of 1" ALUM plate and using 1/4" cap screws to clamp mount to the quill and router. Here is a pic of my design, it is as basic as I think it could be.
Also if I clamp onto the quill how repeatable do you think the spindle location will be if I extend the quill in and out?

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 76
Would not be crazy about having wood dust around an extended quill....Maybe incorporate a ring with "O" ring that goes against the head, and fits around the quill to keep the dust out.
If you have a non "Flip" head machine i would consider using the dove tail lug on the side of the vertical head to carry your router.....More work, but that way you could keep the quill retracted and better shielded.

Further if its the early machine i would secure a plug that fits the accessory outlet on the big green cabinet...that outlet is there to run the accessory high speed head and it is switched, so that
when a plug is used the main spindle motor is disabled and the outlet is powered using the S+ codes so that you can program to run automatic without running the spindle....

If you have a "Flip" head machine, then that power connection is not on the cabinet because you already have a high speed vertical spindle....
Cheers Ross

I never new that about the accessory outlet, that is good to know. I was thinking about using the dovetail but like you said a lot more work but I will give if some more tbought. As too the dust I am going to be running dust collection. I machine quite a bit of wood so I am use to dealing with wood dust. And yes it is a non flip, my machine is an 83.

Lego:

Only problem with using the outlet, is that it is wired for 380 i believe, same as the spindle motor....Could make a simple contactor that took the 380 and switched it to household power (120/220)
Or one could easily use a transformer.....Not sure how that outlet is wired. might be possible to rewire the relay and have house power on the contacts directly....

Maybe its just too much trouble.....The work around if all this is too much, is to program the machine for " S+0." The control will think the spindle is on, so the feed will work...but the main drive motor will be stopped.

Cheers Ross

I am trying to conceptualize a design that would work with the dovetail..any ideas? I am thinking I would tilt the head and have the dovetail face down the same as you would use the arbor support, if I use the dovetail I have to introduce a angle plate to mount the router.
As a side note..does anyone know why they mill the flat on the front of the head?

Attachments

• 20170824_073450.jpg
    20170824_073450.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 92
I am trying to conceptualize a design that would work with the dovetail..any ideas? I am thinking I would tilt the head and have the dovetail face down the same as you would use the arbor support, if I use the dovetail I have to introduce a angle plate to mount the router.
As a side note..does anyone know why they mill the flat on the front of the head?

I use the milled flat on my flip-head to mount magnet bases for mist coolant nozzles. I also occasionally mount mag-base indicators.

My FP2NC D4 fliphead has two outlets on the control cabinet and I assume one is switched and the other continuous, but I have never checked. In think one turns on with S+0. When I bought the machine, the outlets were pulled inside the cabinent, but I put them back where they belong. The outlets have spring-loaded caps, which would keep dust out. On my machine, I'd be most worried about getting dust into the scores on the inside Z ways and the cabinet air cooling heat exchanger.

Back