What's new
What's new

Laverda prototype - AlfaGTA interest?

billmac

Stainless
I have just seen this site for the first time: Laverda Museum

The project to build a Laverda V6 from a partially completed factory prototype is very impressive. Basically a complete engine with serious problems and a gearbox with no internals. A lot of very careful fixture building and machining with a nice Deckel mill. I think Ross might be interested.

Thanks for that link. Looks like lots of nice work going on on that project.
Saw at least two Deckels working on parts of that project. Not exactly sure what i was seeing. The one machine doing most of the work looked to me to be a
flip head FP3NC ...Very similar to the machine i am rebuilding (the machine that fell off the truck lift gate) However it had a Deckel/Maho label on the vertical head.
Some shots showing the control and it was a Dialog 2, 3 or 4..(can't see clearly enough) but not a Dialog11 so i an not sure how it is a Deckel/Maho....anyone have
more input on this....Peter?
Cheers Ross

Saw at least two Deckels working on parts of that project.

I'm not sure what models they were other than that they looked like FP3 size. The Deckel or Deckel/Maho models that made their way to the US are (I think) a bit more limited than those available in Europe, but I am far from an expert in this. I think the photos are from a number of different workshops, for example the gear hobbing and shaping and the wire EDM are most probably sub contracted work.

Anyway, a very ambitious project, which is why it reminded me of your work.

Thanks for the very interesting link Bill, it rather extended my lunch break :) I was not aware that one of those V6 Laverdas was ever likely to run again. The chap has some very nice engineering machinery at his disposal & certainly appears to know how to use it.

One of the 3 Laverda 1000 endurance triples (all built for 1976 Bold'Or if memory serves) that he has in his museum bares a few scars that I can own up to, some time back in the early 1980's (I think) I threw it up the road the very day my friend purchased it after the first Sothebys motorcycle auction at Belle Vue :o

The bike itself was interesting in many respects, duplex rear chain, quadplex primary chain & belt driven car type alternator spring to mind.

regards

Brian

One of the 3 Laverda 1000 endurance triples (all built for 1976 Bold'Or if memory serves) that he has in his museum bares a few scars that I can own up to, some time back in the early 1980's (I think) I threw it up the road the very day my friend purchased it after the first Sothebys motorcycle auction at Belle Vue :o

Brian -

Great that you rode one of those particular machines. I imagine that you were very popular with your friend that day. I always liked the look of the 1000 triples and the Bol d'Or machines were something else.

Unbelievable.

What a brilliant epic effort.

I just finished restoring my 4wd boom truck. That took a few months. Now I feel like a preschooler.

Attachments

• I01.jpg
    I01.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 225
Gregg:
Nice rig! What is the lift capacity of the boom?
Thinking of moving some machines? Should go nicely with your shop up there in the woods.....
Now for a full restoration on that FP3.....
Cheers Ross

It's rated at 16k pounds. Over the 20 years I've owned it I've really put it through some paces. That includes half a dozen moves of my machines. My old L&S lathe was 4500 pounds. I'm comfortable with that as a maximum. It'll hang the Deckel with the boom horizontal. It's one handy rig. My heart still races every time I pick up a machine.

The Deckel. I've been sitting here looking at it wondering why I didn't paint it when I had it totally disassembled. I just wasn't into painting back in '92. And I'm sure as hell not going to take it apart to paint it now. But it would be nice to have it all nice and shiny. It has a good home. That's what counts.

Attachments

• P4134966.jpg
    P4134966.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 170
  • _DSC2922.jpg
    _DSC2922.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 208

Back