What's new
What's new

Projection screen microscope

ballen

Diamond
I recently picked up a "projection measuring microscope" that was advertised as a Deckel accessory. It was cheap enough that I bought it out of curiousity, though if it works I might find some use for it.

The device consists of a substantial vertical tube, containing lenses. These direct light from underneath up to a angled mirror, which direct the light away from the operator. It then bounced off another angled mirror, which directs the light towards the operator, and onto a screen. The screen is marked with some lines and angles and can be easily rotated.

The whole device was covered in grime and the screen did not rotate - it was frozen in place. I took it apart, cleaned the optics, and freed the screen. One interesting thing was that inside one corner of the cabinet was a hardened pool of a yellow-white substance which had the consistency of hard wax or pitch. I had the impression that over 30-50 years (I can not tell how old this is) that material may have flowed from another part of the device and pooled there. You can see it in the bottom right-hand corner here.

attachment.php

My first question: Does anyone know what this waxy white stuff might be?

My second question concerns the screen itself. This consists of three glass plates. The innermost one is fixed and transparent, and has scribed lines at 1 degree separations on the circumferance. The second and third plates are "glued" together and have crosshairs and some curved lines marked as 0.4, 0.8 and 1.2 mm. They are held in a rotating mount, and are about 175mm in diameter. This is what the user looks at. I have the impression that these two plates have something "cloudy" in between them to act as a projection screen. It's not in the best of shape. In fact I wonder if the "pitch" was once in between these plates and flowed out. Can someone tell me how this part of the device might have been made? What is the material which is normally used as a "see-though" screen? I can probably soak the glass plates in alcohol or acetone to separate them, if needed, to renew what was between them. I know that one can purchase "diffusion film" which is used for rear-projection screens. Perhaps I can use that.

Last question: are these devices meant to be used with even illumination behind the work, so one sees a shadow of the work? Or are then meant to be used with light reflected from the work, so one sees the surface of the work?

I can post more photos if that would be helpful.

Cheers,
Bruce

Bruce!

We need to see more pictures! What does this device look like from the outside? It sounds like a profile projector. Several of these were designed to be rather versatile, and can show parts in various enlargements and with various lighting methods.

More info can be useful. Depending on the illumination both matte or clear screens are used. Cemented glass plates you describing might have the patterns deposited on one and the other protecting it, or holding a photographic film with patterns between them. In the past Canada Balsam was the standard material to cement in both cases. Canada Balsam can be softened with light heat and re-fused or separated and cleaned, but one must be careful not to damage the film (if present). I used to put the parts under incandescent lamp to soften.
The yellow wax like material has nothing to do with the optics. Could have been a grease in the focusing parts, or some martial used in the parts inspected.

We need to see more pictures! What does this device look like from the outside?

OK, sorry, here are some pictures with an iPhone for size comparison.

Here is the device seen from the side. The lever with the round black knob switches between two different intermediate lenses, doubling the magnification. The shiny tube at the bottom houses the objective. The focus is about 165mm = 6 1/2 inches below the end of the tube. The vertical slot in the side houses a knurled wheel which can be turned to rotate the screen.

attachment.php

This next picture shows a view down the throat of the objective. This is NOT meant to be clamped into a spindle.

attachment.php

And here is a picture showing the screen itself:

attachment.php

I would not be surprised if this was manufactured with different screens for different jobs.

The magnification scale is such that at the low magnification setting, a 10mm object fills the entire screen. At high magnification, a 5mm object fills the entire screen.

Cheers,
Bruce

The form factor looks like an older model of a Marcel Aubert projection head

Optics projectors - Marcel Aubert SA

something like

Marcel Aubert Profile Projector - IMTS Grinding Technology Ltd

with the exchangable raticules, and also some kind of switchable magnification that they don't make anymore?

Regardless, it's not a Deckel accessory per se - I think their optics were OEMd by Hensold Wetzlar , but a generic (and Swiss, and thus originally extremely expensive) device to get a closer look

Hans

Dear Hans,

The form factor looks like an older model of a Marcel Aubert projection head

Thanks, this is very useful. The projection head I bought looks almost exactly like an MA250. And if I want a new screen for it, I suspect that one of those would fit and work correctly.

The company that made mine (Optotechnik H. Schneider, in Kreuznach) is a German firm, and is still in business. I'll write and see if I can get a manual.

Cheers,
Bruce

Schneider has (or had) a huge market share of the large format photography lens business. Many of their older lenses can be found in Deckel shutters.

Back