What's new
What's new

Restoration done on an FP1

Mad Dog Roger

Plastic
Hello all,

It has taken over a year but finally the job is done.
My FP1 is back in business.

I'll have to spread the pictures over various posts because of the 5 pics limit.

Here are the pictures:
For starters the "before" pictures:
machines 713.jpgmachines 714.jpg

Then some Work In Progress pics:
RGN21118.JPGRGN21127.JPG

And finally the finished product:

Deckel restored 01.jpgDeckel restored 02.jpgDeckel restored 04.jpgDeckel restored 05.jpgDeckel restored 06.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the end result.
I even had a chance to use it since my wife accidentally threw away some plastic slide bearings and I had to remake them from scratch.

Now I still have a dividing head and a slotting head on my wishlist. Who knows what Santa brings me this year.

Best wishes for you all.

Roger

Hello Ross,

If with the second picture you mean the "before" picture. This was taken by the previous owner, who is a bit of a dealer but not professionaly. At the time of me buying the Deckel he had, I think, 7 or 8 lathes, a couple of mills and several other machines.
I can't quite remember but it is very well possible that it is an FP3 in the background.

If you're interested, I'm sorry. That was 1.5 years ago and that FP3 has already been sold.
I visited him about half a year ago and his garage was a lot emptier.

Greets,
Roger

Hello Trboatworks,

Maybe you can also post some pictures of your progress?
I know it isn't always easy, taking pictures while your hands are all dirty but still.

I find these machines quite easy to work on since they are completely mechanical.
As long as it's mechanical I can understand. As soon as it gets electronical/electrical and you can't see the things moving it's all a black box to me.

And if you need some help, this is a great forum to post your questions. I needed some help during the process because I couldn't remove some parts due to a burr on the inside.
Thanks to some guys on this forum, the thing was quickly sorted.

Cheers,
Roger

I will do, though my approach on this one is more towards attending to all mechanical issues, cleaning and bringing machine back in line with fresh lubes etc.
Though I enjoy a complete tear down and rebuild/restoration mine really just needed cleaned up as it had sat for so long.
I did do a full tear down on the spindle and have fresh bearings for the vertical head that I will reassemble this week.
I have started a couple of threads about my travails with the machine and will update with photos this week as things come together.

Great job- yours looks sweet.

Roger:
Thanks for the reply...not interested in buying that machine, just curious as i was wondering if you had more than one Deckel....

Again thanks for posting the photos....Nice job.
Cheers Ross

Thanks 1potatoe.
Once I got started I just kept taking stuff off the mill instead of putting it back on. It was: I've taken the other part of I might as well take this off, and that, and that, why not that, etc.
But in the end I'm glad I did.

Roger

Restoration: Make it shiny like a toaster.
Recondition: restore geometry and accuracy.

Sorry, just a waste of paint.

Nick

Not so fast- just cleaning and getting the machine back on track for maintenance is a worthwhile pursuit to protect the machine and insure unnecessary damage.
Doing a nice paint job while one is at it pays large dividends for pride of ownership to the user which in turn contributes to his continued care and attention to the machines use.

Further- you have no ideal of what the machines needs were, and how far the person has gone towards addressing problems in his work- geometry may not have needed attention, the accuracy re-screws bushing bearings and ways may be fine or have been repaired in the course of this work.

Further- I see plenty of users who pick up a very nice older machine and don't take the time to do the slightest work.

Gummed up bearings are run till they seize, gummed up ways are left as found full of grinding debris, screws go bad at even faster rates as nothing is clean enough to move.
I just cleaned up a milling vise on a rotary base that was so full of chips that the priors were hammering the thing around to rotate and peened divots in its small ways.
Maintaining tools is never a "waste", be it simple cleaning, adjustment or paint.
We can all reserve scorn for a 'krylon' rebuild for something tossed up on ebay but that is not what we have here.

The guy did a great job- if the mill needs further work- so be it.
Now that it has all the maintenance issues sorted he might well turn towards a assessment of further needs or the machine might not need more work.

There is a saying- credit where credit is due.

There is a saying- credit where credit is due.
So my credit goes to a good paint job.
For me, a good paint job is just the icing of a reconditioned tool. It makes me more proud if it cuts straight than if it shines in the dark.
YMMV

if the mill needs further work
That should be addressed first. After all is to Schlesinger specs, it is time for a proud paint job.

Nick

Back