What's new
What's new

Rawyler FT2?

Rodm1

Aluminum
While at auction and having passed on a Aciera F1, I picked up a Rawyler FT2. It is in fairly good shape, but was a production machine and slightly different than what i've found on internet. It does not have hand wheels/dials for any of the feeds, only full stroke levers.
Anyone with experience with this particular machine? I would like to convert/modify it to original/std. form with hand wheels and dials. Any info/Manuals would be much appreciated. One of the former wokers at the co. is supposed to be digging one up for me, but.....

20170831_091508.jpg

20170831_091502.jpg

Small precision Swiss milling machine Rawyler TF2 - YouTube

Last edited:
Good looking machine. Try "Lathes.uk" for general information. They describe it as a heavier-duty Aciera. I could not attend the auction, what were the prices like? There were several Rawyler mills there, what was the high & low prices for them? Were you tempted to get a couple to be more complete?

Dan

Good looking machine. Try "Lathes.uk" for general information. They describe it as a heavier-duty Aciera. I could not attend the auction, what were the prices like? There were several Rawyler mills there, what was the high & low prices for them? Were you tempted to get a couple to be more complete?

Dan

Prices were excellent if you were patient. They had multiples of everything. Usually 1st and 2nd pieces went for what was expected, then got cheaper. The Aciera was what I was after. Actually was an F3 not a F1 as previously stated. The Rawyler was on a whim. W/ vertical head the 1st went for $600, w/o vertical head cheapest was $250 I believe. Mine was only one outfitted with vertical head and lube system. Vertical head looks brand new and unused. By the end, lots of screw machines were going for $100 a piece. If only I had room.

Neat looking machine, first I've seen.
I'm guessing that it was ordered new as is (production machine) and never had lead screws, nuts and the associated gearing that went with a machine like in the video. I can't tell from the pictures but it seems like it has a rack and pinion gear to operate each axis now. I'm not saying it can't be changed to work like you want but there is going to be considerable effort to do it.
Thanks for sharing it with us and would like to see how changing it over goes.
Dan

Neat looking machine, first I've seen.
I'm guessing that it was ordered new as is (production machine) and never had lead screws, nuts and the associated gearing that went with a machine like in the video. I can't tell from the pictures but it seems like it has a rack and pinion gear to operate each axis now. I'm not saying it can't be changed to work like you want but there is going to be considerable effort to do it.
Thanks for sharing it with us and would like to see how changing it over goes.
Dan
Yep, don't think I'm going to know until i get it apart to some degree. I would have to say that it would be rack and pinion for production or traditional, save the longitudinal. Maybe an extra gear in train, but comparable for vertical and head cross feed. I do have another mill and lathe, so theoretically can probably make what i may need and perhaps an upgrade or two along the way. Definitely be posting as I go. I've already converted my manual mill to ballscrews and cnc.
Should prove interesting.

Picked up machine today and it was definitely converted to a production machine. All mounting areas for longitudinal and vertical feeds were there. No screws or dial, but there. Now to find parts or fabricate them.
One setback is some piece of excrement stole some of the accessories that came with it. All 5 machines had pretty much the same accessories, but hey let me be a @#!@%^$# and steal something I don't need and screw someone else out of what they paid for. Hey fool, realize that these are rare and someone looking for these accessories is going to deduce why you are selling them. I hope this guy posts them for sale.

While waiting for a vfd for my lathe, I decided to dig into the FT2. Any hopes of leaving the electrical system intact have gone out the window. First, disconnecting the fuse box and switch someone had added, the insulation just crumbled off the wire. Second, this machine is most likely never going to see a truly commercial use again. While the 220/380v system may have worked for industry it will be problematic for home use.
At the very least, to utilize a vfd, it will need to be rewired for modern american use. The Euro plugs and switches will need to be decommissioned. Sadly the original lubricant motor and pump will also need to go.

20170911_210221.jpg

20170911_210238.jpg

I believe a single receptacle and new plugs on horizontal and vertical motors would be the most efficient. Utilizing the vfd for which ever is to be used. Leaving the original wiring , plugs, and switches in place for nostalgia. ;)

Converting for manual or dial feed for the longitudinal seems to be pretty simple. The vertical feed is going to require a bit more ingenuity. I did find a ebay listing for parts needed for conversion from Switzerland.... around $1500 with shipping. :crazy: The pictures did provide a great deal of info on the composition of parts and type of gearing required.

In #9 the member Thomas "Teralu" writes:
Da ich mehrere Rawyler besitze und kenne auch Herr Lorenz Rawyler persönlich.

2015 konnte ich von Herr Rawyler alle Pläne und Rechte an der Maschine abkaufen, sowie die noch vorhanden Ersatzteile.

Ich versuche nun immer wieder mal Teile nachbauen zu lassen, damit diese Maschinen am Leben bleiben.

Gerne kann ich Unterlagen und Pläne zur Verfügung stellen, wenn jemand noch eine solche Maschine hat. Ersatzteile sind auch immer noch einige vorhanden.

[...] Der Nachfolger war die Rawyler TF-2 hier habe ich alle original Pläne und auch noch einige Maschinen.

Approximate translation:
Because I own several Rawyler, I know Mr. Lorenz Rawyler personally.

In 2015 I was able to buy all drawings and rights related to the machine from Mr. Rawyler, plus existing spare parts.

I'm trying to let rebuild parts consistently, to let these machines stay alive.

Willingly I can provide the documents and drawings, if somebody owns such a machine yet. Some spare parts are existing yet.

[...] The follower was the Rawyler TF-2 from that I've got all original plans and some machines yet.

Thomas "Teralu" is active in the german forum Zerspanungsbude.

Cheers,
Karl

P. S.: There are documents for swiss machines: Swiss machine tool literature library - Anglo-Swiss Tools

Karl, I want to improve your translation of one line:

Ich versuche nun immer wieder mal Teile nachbauen zu lassen, damit diese Maschinen am Leben bleiben.
==>
I am trying to get new parts manufactured, so that these machines can be kept alive.

Cheers,
Bruce

Yes,I've been in contact with Thomas and in the process of getting parts together for conversion. Language and being on the other side of the atlantic is the biggest issue. Has anyone had personal dealings with this fellow. Parts are expensive, but necessary.

Looks like I may end up on my own with this. Language being the biggest barrier, I can not get any confirmations on parts matching axis'. Thomas has the same 3 photos in various places and same sent to me, which only show 2 axis' parts. There appears to be 2 different configurations for vertical. There is both a dial fed configuration on the side and at the front for vertical. But I have yet to see a true representation or parts associated with cross travel of the spindle. He seems to get upset when I ask the same question, but do not get any response in reference to the spindle cross feed parts. " I am being difficult and he doesn't have time" to clarify with additional photos or drawings of the parts. For $1000+
for 3 sets of nuts, screws, hand wheels and dials, I am sorry, but need to know what I am buying is correct and not going to end up paying another $275 for shipping and another $500 in parts to get what I really need.
So, it looks like this is going to be a self-made conversion utilizing acme screws, 932 bronze nuts/helical gears, and shop=made dials and hand wheels. I'll post on my progress. Isn't the first time I've had to take matters into my own hands.

Entschuldigung liebes Forum, dass ich Deutsch schreibe. (vielleicht übersetzt ja jemand)

Es wurden 6 Rawyler an der Auction für wenig Geld verkauft. Jeder will Support meint aber da die Maschinen so günstige waren müsse ich auch neue Ersatzteile sehr günstige geben und viel gratis Support leisten und Pläne senden. Die Käufer der Rawyler machen sich keine Gedanken was es kostet Teile nach original Plänen nachbauen zu lassen.

Ich habe wirklich im Moment keine Zeit für den grossen "gratis" Support den Rodm1 verlangt.
Ende Oktober sieht es dann besser aus und ich kann Rodm1 ein Set nach seinen Wünschen zusammenstellen.
Schade hat er zuerst auf Ebay gekauft und wollte nachträglich alles abgeändert.
Bei den Preisen muss ich wiedersprechen. Ich bin auf seinen Preisvorschlag mit 800sFr (822 $) sowie einem Versand für 138 sFr (141 $)eingegangen. Rodm1 hätte nicht nur alles wie hier auf dem Bild sondern auch die 3 vollständigen Achsen (metrisch oder INCH) erhalten.
Also auch die 2x W12 Teilapparate und die W12 Fräsdorn und noch viele andere Neu Teile neben den Spindeln. Kann jemand so was in dieser Qualität für 800.- herstellen?
Sorry hätte er rasch bezahlt hätte ich rasch geliefert und so haben ich x-Mail und Dokumente gesendet und soll noch mehr gratis Arbeit für Ihn machen? Ich helfe gerne aber muss wenigsten ein Teil meiner Umtriebe gedeckt haben und bei Sonderwünschen halt eine wenig warten. (ich habe keine Firma sondern es ist mein Hobby)
Freundliche Grüsse
Thomas
Rawyler TF2.jpg

Entschuldigung liebes Forum, dass ich Deutsch schreibe. (vielleicht übersetzt ja jemand)

Dear Forum, apologies that I am writing in German, perhaps someone will translate. (WHICH I AM DOING HERE, I AM NOT THE PERSON WRITING, THAT IS TERALU.) 6 Rawlers were auctioned for very little. Every one needs support but because the machines were so cheap I have to sell the parts cheaply and provide free plans and support. The purchasers of the Rawlers have no idea how much it costs to get original parts made starting from the original specifications. At the moment I have no time to give the significant "free" support that Rodml demands. The end of October looks better and then I can collet the things that Rodml would like. A shame that he first purchased this on Ebay and then afterwards wanted things to be different. At these prices I can't agree. I'll start with the offer of 800 Swiss Francs ($822 US) and shipping for 138 Francs ($141). Rodml did not just have what is shown in the picture but there were also 3 complete lead screws (metric or inch) included. Also two W12 dividing heads and W12 mill holders and a lot of other new parts related to the lead screws. Can anyone manufacture parts of this quality for 800? Shame if he just paid and I just delivered so I sent x-Mail and documents, should I now do more free work for him? I am happy to help but at least part of my troubles should be covered, and for special wishes some patience is needed. I don't have a business, this is my hobby. Regards, Thomas.

View attachment 208853

I bought two Rawyler FT2 machines at auction, and now need to sell them. One of the machines has the vertical milling head, and I also bought a bunch of the W-11 collets. They have cooling pumps and some attachments. The power is 3 Phase. I've been too busy with other things, and also have a Barker horizontal mill, so haven't had much chance to use them. I've no idea what the machines are worth, but my guess is they're ideal for a real machinist that works on smaller-scale projects. Any advice on how to value them would be appreciated. They're located in Baltimore. DSC00993.jpg

Back