What's new
What's new

Rigging an Abene VH3

Demon69

Titanium
Just bought one of these lovelies and am planning to pick it up mid next week.

Whats the official method of lifting? Im thinking slide the head mounting arm all the way back and lock it down, then sling around the overarm support. Sound about right?
There should be forks on site and plan to take a pump truck and a couple of 6x2s (or perhaps a heavy pallet) to bolt it to, avoid any unwanted tippy tippy.

Be nice to see some weight on the old D series :)

There is an official lifting method in the operators manual page 4 of 30.
Go here to post #1 to download some documents
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/deckel-maho-aciera-abene-mills/abene-vhf-3-a-207769/

It is quite possible that your headstock won't slide down the ramp to horizontal mode because of chips in the t-slots.

For mine I slid it onto a roll back tow truck using a strap around the column and the trucks winch. It never left the ground/truck ramp.

Cheers for the links bud. Will grab a copy of those PDFs, very useful :)

A pic of the slinging arrangement, is as I thought it would be,, for once.

attachment.php

Not set up to drag it up the ramps as yet, but forks onsite sounds better than me hauling my gantry with me. 140 odd miles in the D at 45mph flat out will be testing enough I reckon :D

attachment.php

Cheers for the links bud. Will grab a copy of those PDFs, very useful :)

A pic of the slinging arrangement, is as I thought it would be,, for once.

attachment.php

Not set up to drag it up the ramps as yet, but forks onsite sounds better than me hauling my gantry with me. 140 odd miles in the D at 45mph flat out will be testing enough I reckon :D

attachment.php

That is a great looking truck! I would love to have it over here......

Kevin

It all started out on the M25, normal service. lol

start.jpg

Arrived at Coventry a bit late and met with sellers, nice folks. Hadn't brought the pallet truck with cos wed had arranged the forks was told it should be able to get to the machine. Looked kinda tight to me and there some pessimism from the seller an forks guys as to how to move it. I pretended to know what I was I about and made some suggestions. Had brought a pile of slings with me so that wasn't a problem.
As I was looking over the machine it looked to be in pretty good shape abeit covered in crud n chips. the seller ran it up for me, spindle sounded good, feeds worked in all axis. As I wound back and locked down the head the forks came through the door, that must of been when I forgot to tighten sliding top arm :o. was only cracked loose so should be ok, hopefully, please :scratchchin:
The driver was a cool dude who seemed to have a good idea of what was needed. I explained how I wanted it lifted using a round sling, basket style round the over arm. He went off to get a lifting boom, no pics but kinda like this.

Boom-Low%20Profile.jpg

Lifting the machine just off the floor we moved it to the middle of the floor and set it up on some blocks. The mast was too high so he wanted to go underneath it just to get out the door. "steel on steel no deal!" came to mind (this forum lol). I mentioned it to him and he understood, but we literally only had to drag it on the floor a couple metres. All went well despite mild reservation, will bring some cardboard or something next time.

20160525_143149.jpg

Once outside we slung it to the 2ton hyser (no pics unfortunately, was too busy) and reversed out to the side so I could back the lorry in. With the machine just off the ground he moved it as close the lorry as poss, then up and on to bed. Id brought some OSB for the machine to sit on, thought it might help in the slip stakes. Then got to strapping it down with my spanky new straps. I used some round slings wrapped around the overarm and hooked through them, next time might use shackles there but it all tightened down ok. The forks guy was happy as was I.
Feel free to critic :)

20160525_160651.jpg 20160525_170611.jpg

And that was it really. The hardest part about the whole gig was trying to get andy (the forks guy) to take some dough.

"how much I owe ya?"
"nah youre alright mate"
"give us a tenner then"
"they pay you a 20 don't they?"
"yeah but I don't need that"
"take 40 mate!"
"NAHHHH that's too much (protest protest)"
"you got kids?"
"yeah"
"buy em somthin!(stuffs money in his hand)"

Seriously, he just didn't realise hes was worth his weight in gold to me at the time, £40 was cheap.

The drive home was easy, the mill didn't move an inch. The truck needed a bit more brake pedal pressure but all in all drove like a champ. Did notice the engine getting a little louder but it was just the tea towel needed adjusting :D. Plenty of attention from Po-po but no pull. Got a couple of toots from other guys in older lorries and had a fascinating chat with an older Irish gentleman in one o the services.

Havent got it off the truck yet but am in no rush. Gonna make some space and put up the gantry. I don't like that the gantry has no braces in the corners were the beam meets the uprights. I might wrap a sling around the beam to mount the chainfall and strap from the sling to the A part of the uprights. Will only support in tension but I reckon itll be ok.

That is all so, so far :)

Nice! Everyone likes an eventless machine move! :cheers:

I like that truck also. Is that some type of U.K. Ford ? I know that often the auto companies will sell different models out of country, and don't think I've ever seen one quite like that here in the U.S.

I have a '97 Ford Super-Duty flatbed, but yours looks vintage and way cooler! :) (yours actually looks like an tow truck possibly)

Nice! Everyone likes an eventless machine move! :cheers:

I like that truck also. Is that some type of U.K. Ford ? I know that often the auto companies will sell different models out of country, and don't think I've ever seen one quite like that here in the U.S.

I have a '97 Ford Super-Duty flatbed, but yours looks vintage and way cooler! :) (yours actually looks like an tow truck possibly)

Well, the mill isn't off the wagon yet so still time for a drama :D :cheers:

The truck is known here as Ford D series, mines a 1969 D300 also known as D0607 (I think), GVW is plated 6.3 ton. I don't think they made it to the US (love some of the old US trucks). The body would probably be called a 'plant body' here. Fine to get 4x4s , tractors and the like on but the angle of the bed is a bit acute for most cars (they beech going over the hump), although you can get them on with a bit of playing.
I love driving it and am getting to know its quirks, like drum front brakes that stop working for a while after driving through deep water, is all good fun :)

plenty D series pics

The Abene is back on the floor where it belongs :)

After id selected an appropriate victim (cheers stu ;) ) we got to getting the gantry up around the lorry.
Was tight on overhead so struggled to get enough room for the lift. Wasn't amazingly happy with the way I slung it but it worked out. Drove the lorry out part way out, dropped the ramps and drove the rest of the way out with ramps dragging. Blocked the road for a whole minute, some prick wasn't happy that id taken 30 seconds out of his day, ce la vie! :D

attachment.php

Heres a better shot of the straps I used to try n counter any scissor action, did I need them? not sure. Couldn't see the harm though with the legs out that high, just snugged up. Notice the strap riding over the bolt id put through the upright, missed that at the time. The block of wood atop the beam, needed it, the hoist was maxed out and we had little more than an inch clearance to the bed.

attachment.php

When it was down on the deck we lowered off the gantry and used the beam trolley move the mill. Lift, move mill, lower off, move gantry, lift,,, and so on. Worked a treat, will use the same method to get over the step into the shop.

attachment.php

All tucked up for the night ;)

attachment.php

All in all everything went far easier than expected with no injury or drama. That beam weighs some though, and it takes some time messing with the gantry. Defo a two man job.

yep im inclined to agree on the straps. we were goner use blocks under the gantry if we didn't clear the bed. as I happened we just managed to squeak it out :)

One more question : would you mind revealing to the Abene community what you payed for this gem ?

Can't upload pics atm but the add is here

milling machine | eBay

Theres a tag on the side of the machine (pic in add) that I believe is the serial no but could be wrong.
Don't want to break hearts but I paid £320 ($460) for it

Cheers for that, will check when I get back. There's an smt badge on the side of the machine. Perhaps it was reworked by those guys st some point and the number has something to do with them. Just a guess tho

Back