What's new
What's new

Sajo Mill

brock

Aluminum
I have a Sajo horizontal milling machine made in Sweeden. It has a multi pulley flat belt drive with a 3.5 horse power motor. The spindle is a 40 morse taper, there is a vertical head attachment that has a 3 morse taper. The machine is a 1954 model and is power feed in all 3 axis. There are I think 12 spindle speeds and around 30 table feed speeds. The table is 9.5" x 44". There are 2 external drive shafts that power the table. Gibs and ball screws are adjustable for backlash. I will get the model and serial off the machine tonight and post. Does anyone have one of these machines or has used one in the past? The one I have runs very smoothe and quiet. Seems to be a good mill so far.
Barry Brock

Sajo

I have one a bit newer, early sixties. I take it that "ballscrews" is a typo? Very reliable & well built machine, only problem ever has been the universal joint in the external drive shaft for the feeds. Mine has a standard handwheel on one end of the table & a hand-rapid crank on the other end which is geared up about 2.5/1. The backlash adjustment for the table screw is a great piece of work. There was a previous thread on these machines last year.

sajo mill

Daredo, thanks for the post. My horizontal mill is a model UF48M, serial VH-VRF51. What problem did you have with the external drive shaft joint? I noticed the design was not a common spider type. Where could a person get a set of those u-joints if they ever went out? Does anyone still sell parts for these machines?
Barry Brock

Hi Brock, Just had a look at my machine: Model UF53M, Year 1956, Machine No. 110. About spares I don't know, maybe one of our Scandinavian friends could help?? Re the joints, they are called "Hooke joint" over here, also known as "Cardan joint". One of the drive pins broke & we did a repair. The following link will give you some info:

http://www.answers.com/topic/universal-joint?cat=technology

Regards

sajo parts

Kvarnis, thanks for the info. I don't need parts right now but I will contact them to get a feel of what is available.

Back