What's new
What's new

Schaublin 13 high speed head mystery collet adapter

Luke Rickert

Hot Rolled
After some time of not using the high-speed head I have for my schaublin 13 due to a lack of collets (and having no idea what the collets are despite considerable research) I have started trying to make an adapter to use ER20 collets. This is for drilling with the quill and light milling only (max speed is a bit over 6k rpm)

I tried hard turning a cheap ER20 MT2 adapter to fit the taper but have run into some difficulties. My big lathe cuts the steel just fine and leaves a better finish than the original grinding and the fit seems ok with blue in the spindle but there is considerable runout when I test fit it. This could be how I held the part between centers using the mouth of the ER cavity and it is a cheap collet so that might be part of it but no matter what the location of the adapter doesn't seem quite secure as it depends on the unground bore to locate the end of the adapter.

here is what the current adapter looks like:
Shared album - Luke Rickert - Google Photos

The plan was to use the threads on the spindle nose and a special nut with pins and a slot to hold the adapter into the spindle if that makes any sense.

here is a sketch:

The rough parts of the bore are not that rough in reality but are not ground like the area near the end. The contact angle is 15 degrees as far as I can tell but as I have said I haven't found a spec anywhere.

It seems like I need to make something that can be more or less permanently attached into the current bore and then the ER20 cavity turned into the end to ensure concentricity.

I am not sure if there is enough material to grind the spindle out to an ER20 cavity which is too bad as the M25x1,5 thread would allow the use of off the self ER20 nuts. I could perhaps make an adapter and special nut to use ER16 which would fit within the current bore and is big enough for the purposes of this head.

I suppose what I should do is disassemble the head and remove the spindle. I am not crazy about taking it apart but it seems like the most logical way to proceed as any workable solution is going to end up with the spindle on the lathe.
I could attach something into the bore and then true it on the mill using a cutter held on the table but I would not be able thread etc so it would have to be a two part (glued) solution.

Any thoughts?

Luke

I pulled the spindle, it was actually rather easy. I forget how nicely designed these Schaublin parts are :) It is a schaublin head, even if Schaublin knows nothing about it (part number 13-11216)

The integrated gear means there will be no chance of making a new spindle which was one of my ideas.

If one compares the end view of an ER20 and this collet cavity which is supposed to be E20 but is something else I think it would probably be ok to cut the ER20 profile into the end. It is a bit thin but the same thickness as the adapter I am comparing it to.

The other option would be to fill in the end with a sleeve and cut an ER16 or ER20 socket into the end. The spindle is preloaded using the threads on the end so I can't do anything to block or mess up those.

I suppose I can chuck this up on the schaublin 135 with a very carefully setup 4 jaw and steady rest and hard turn it with a CBN to an 8 degree seat and although that is kind of a terrifying thought. Probably be best to find someone with an internal grinder to do it and not take the chance of destroying my spindle. If the gear was removable I would make a new spindle without worry as it is really very straight forward otherwise.

Luke

If one compares the end view of an ER20 and this collet cavity which is supposed to be E20 but is something else

I thought all high speed heads were E20. You must have an oddity.

I thought the only diffference between E20 and ER20 was the retention groove.

Have you tried an ER20 collet and nut on the spindle as is? What about it does not fit?

Grinding the spindle in-situ in its own bearings would be a good way to go.

The biggest problem with the high speed head is no spindle lock when securing or removing collets.

I would make or look for a drillchuck or ER20 chuck with a straight shank Then make a adaptor with a OD fitting the hole in your spindle
Make a hole in the adaptor and glue the straight shank in with the retaining nut in between adaptor and chuck
Pin it if you want to

Then you could also make your own soft collets

Peter

Back