What's new
What's new

Searching for a Deckel collet for G1F engraving machine

StarkFan

Aluminum
Hi folks.
I had a Deckel G1F land on me recently (metaphorically). Seems very complete (except for a collet) but will need a little cleaning. I see I can buy what looks like the correct one new for something like $225 + shipping (sounds like it takes the 24mm long flavor), but I'm not currently in that price bracket. I won't get this cleaned up until sometime next summer in any case. Any suggestions for sourcing at least one collet? I'll be using it to engrave clock dials, so in all likelihood I'll be able to get away with just one collet. Sorry, but I didn't take pictures and it's now stashed away in a friend's warehouse. Also, does this collet style have a specific name (such as 5C, B8 collets all have)? I've attached a picture of what I believe the correct type of collet looks like (snagged off the Artco web site, so hopefully that's OK?).

Attachments

• 24mm long collet.JPG
    24mm long collet.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 171
What dial engraving can one do with a G1F? I thought that machine was a simple lite mill with a conventional knee and XY table. Yours is only the second I’ve k known of in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just the circular portions; it has a spinning t-bolt jig on it. Can't do actual pantograph stuff, such as numerals (I'll probably try engraving those by hand), unless I find a pantograph top end for it ;-) It was practically free, so while I had a truck there, a forklift and somewhere to stash it at home, I just had to adopt it:D It may also end up useful as a very light mill, as you've noted, with a bigger work envelope than my Hardinge BBV2. We'll see what condition the ways are in once it's all apart. Paint looks fine, so I think just disassembly, cleaning, re-lube, rewiring and a new belt will be all that it's likely to need (once I find one or more collets).

Back