What's new
What's new

FP-1 high speed mill head variations

Stan Krum

Aluminum
I have read on Tony's UK website that the deckel HS milling head has a morse taper 4 spindle, just like the regular FP1 mill head (yes, unless its the newer MK4??). Now my regular head has the adapter installed so I can use the deckel 20mm dia collets -or- I can remove the adapter for Mt#4.

I looked carefully at the HS head today, and it takes the deckel 16mm dia collers, I believe the same as the grinder collets. It does not seen to be an adapter, at least it's not readily apparent to me. My FP1 is early 50's vintage, but the hs head is a later acquisition from ebay - do not know the year it was made. So, were there 16mm collet spindles made? Or is it that I did not look close enough? I searched the archives, and the question has been raised - but was not answered. Thanks. Stan

Hi Stan.

I just had a look at Tony's website and he has made an error in the "heads" page. He writes that the HS head comes with MT4 or SK40. It's either 16mm collets or SK40, and he has written that elsewhere. AFAIK, the 16mm collets are used on the very old Deckel single lip cutter grinders.

I have seen the Deckel High Speed head in 3 variations:

Oldest is made for 16mm collets only. Uses handle with square hole for drawbar and quill.

Newer is 40 taper (called SteilKegel 40). Uses handle with square hole for drawbar and quill. This is the one seen most often, I believe.

Newest is 40 taper. It has a small, manual spindle lock and uses a hex key for drawbar and quill.

It is possible to buy 16mm collets, china made. At least they come in metric millimeter sizes (no half millimeter, I've been told).

Hope this is of use to you.

Cheers
Erik

Mine is the SK40 square hole version. There is no cover for the belt drive, I don't think the design had provision for one, but I've seen drawings of ones with them fitted. It is atonishing how much wind the belts create. Real "hair whipping in the wind" stuff!

- Mike -

Belt covers were certainly available on later models as I had one like that. My current head also has a cover.

"hair whipping in the wind".... Well, an open pulley will take care of that problem pretty quick! :D

Alan

Yeah, I was racking my brain trying to remember a MT4 HS head, but I could only recall the 16mm and 40 taper.
Glad Erik jumped in as I thought I was losing it.

Sean

as I thought I was losing it.
Comes from having too much shiny green iron hanging around...it all starts to look the same after a bit and you can't distinguish one from the other or the details of construction or operation....QUICK off load some of that stuff before the effect is unreversable. :eek:
Cheers Ross

Thanks for the response. My high speed verticle head is the older 16MM type. In search this site, there seems to be consistasncy about where to lub the head, and is just as described in the manual.

What oil do you use to lube your hs milling head? I looked up engler oil, as mentioned in my deckel manual, and found a lot of articles about Robert Engler himself (I guess he is another whole subject). But I did not find a supplier of Engler Oil. What oil is available in the USA which would be a good match for the HS mill head? Mobil medium spindle oil? What do you use??

Thanks, Stan

Back