What's new
What's new

Strange?? FP2 Coolant Pump Pipe

Jersey John

Stainless
Hi Folk

My FP2 came without a coolant system and I'm now rebuilding the system to it's original state.

I've got the FP2 Coolant pump and associated chain and it's connected running as it should.

I know there is a feed pipe from the sump to the pump with a bend in it to keep oil pump wet lubricated.

I have tried several sources to get this pipe and I have been offered something very different to what I was expected ... has anyone seen this pipe/tank fitted to the FP2?

FP2 Coolant Pipe fitting

I'd appreciate any inputs

John :)

Yes Thats the new model
The older model is just a curved tube
Why they have that rerservoir up there I don know
It wil drain if the pump stops As I see it only the tube on the left will stay filled
If the system had a valve at the suction end then it would make sense
But I am not aware of a valve
Peter

JJ,

Here are a couple of photos of the relevant part of my machine:

attachment.php

attachment.php

You can see that there is a steel or copper pipe connected to the pump inlet that curves up and around in a half-loop. If you look closely you'll see that this then attaches to a PLASTIC TUBE (painted green!) which goes into the coolant sump. Inside that sump is a simple weighted pickup, which has a filter screen on it. Bottom line: there is nothing here you can't easily make yourself.

Cheers,
Bruce

Hi Bruce

Thanks very much for the reply, yep I'm aware of what the "original pipe" looks like and the fact that the half bend is there to keep the pump wet ... but sadly there seems to be a lack of these pipes around and what I've been offered the "Modern" replacement :eek: ... which I'd ideally rather not fit.

John :typing:

I'm aware of what the "original pipe" looks like and the fact that the half bend is there to keep the pump wet ... but sadly there seems to be a lack of these pipes around.

If you buy some soft copper tubing you can bend one up in less time than it takes me to compose this email. You can probably also make this from steel tubing, but might need to fill with sand and/or heat as you bend it.

If you buy some soft copper tubing you can bend one up in less time than it takes me to compose this email. You can probably also make this from steel tubing, but might need to fill with sand and/or heat as you bend it.

Ha ... I wondered when you'd say that :D

Two points, my Jersey workshop has been sold as I'm moving back to England soon and while the pipe is easy ... the end fitting to the pump is somewhat more time consuming especially with no tools at hand.

John :typing:

Well: you could always get the newer style and remove the banjo fitting from the end and use that as the base for making the earlier style "trap"

Personally i think the later version is just better...Traps a much larger volume of the fluid so more chance that the pump will pick up its prime before it sucks air which after all is the point.

Not sure why someone would have a "spare" feed pipe for their coolant pump that wasn't connected in service already, unless they had ,heaven forbid,scrapped an existing machine.
However, think that "Metric & Multistandard" have bare banjo's for sale in metric sizes...Might need a minimum purchase, not sure.

Cheers Ross

Well: you could always get the newer style and remove the banjo fitting from the end and use that as the base for making the earlier style "trap"

Personally i think the later version is just better...Traps a much larger volume of the fluid so more chance that the pump will pick up its prime before it sucks air which after all is the point.

Not sure why someone would have a "spare" feed pipe for their coolant pump that wasn't connected in service already, unless they had ,heaven forbid,scrapped an existing machine.

Cheers Ross

Hi Ross - Thanks very much for your comments; most appreciated ;)

The high price that I've been quoted for the "Newer" version would certainly not see me cutting the banjo off!

As for a "Spare" pipe, I have heard of a number of machines that had their pumps removed because they've seized due to infrequent use ... so there will be parts somewhere and Peter (above) is looking (If he remembers).

All the best

John :cheers:

No
I mean if the right pipe where the hose is connected to is stickking a couple of cm inside the reservoir
Otherwise I do not see how the reservoir can hold any coolant with the pump off

Peter

Back