What's new
What's new

Strange UPA2 wally

bentley1930

Hot Rolled
Hi all,

I picked up the UPA2 wally that I bought on UK fleabay during my recent trip to France and the UK.

DSCN0802.jpg

DSCN0801.jpg

The shank was originally a 2 morse taper but this has been ground down to 5/8" but the small end of the taper and the tang have been left in place!

I wonder why?

Alan

Does seem strange not to cut it off. How is the quality of the grinding? You should make a nice little knurled knob to replace that screw.

Happy boring :)

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

Could the tang be removable? On the second picture it looks as if there may be a taper pin holding it in place...

Hi All,

Luke, the grinding is spot on, i`ll have to get you to make the knurled knob for me as I don`t have a functioning knurling tool and swap with some tasty little tool from my arsenal. I`m very curious about why the tang was left on the shank

Pete, I suppose there must be a reason why the tang was not removed, as you mentioned, the tang is pinned to the shank but does not serve any purpose and would possibility get in the way.

I suppose that I will have to cut the shank short and mount it in a collet or a weld on as Ross explained in a previous thread!

Alan

Guessing the tang has a center drilling in it....Makes the grinding of the shank a snap if its there ....
If the application the original user was running did not interfere with the tang, no reason to remove it....
Would have guessed that for most machine setups that the extra length/tang would cause excessive overhang and extension...
But perhaps not...Maybe the head was replaced by another head better suited to the users work just after the grinding was completed, and he never got to removing the tang..Just another a drawer filler perhaps...
Cheers Ross

Hi All,

Ross, it`s wierd! The wally is in otherwise good condition and Imperial which is nice, a lovely piece of kit and it only cost me 140 pounds sterling. no box or tools with it.

What length of shank would you recommend that I cut it down to.

Alan

Me , I like to keep it short....
Perhaps 1.5x the actual grip length of the holding collet....Short enough so that it can be fully chocked up without the end
bottoming out....
Cheers Ross

Could be worse, the Criterion I picked up off Fleabay had a totally stripped adjustment screw, and a stripped setscrew on the gib that needed to be drilled out. The worst part is I put it away without fully inspecting it when I got it, and didn't try to use it for about 4 months so I couldn't even dispute the sale for it being ruined.

Personally , i prefer a boring head with a straight shank, so long as it is stout, well sized , round and straight....
Hold the head in a Weldon style holder or a collet..Makes the head universal so it fits all machines....

Cheers Ross

Back