What's new
What's new

Take a look inside a Schaublin 51

Kees

Hot Rolled
I got a 51, with a broken gear, so I removed some parts.I thought it might be nice for others to have also a look inside the Schaublin.

This is the subject:
schaub51001.jpg

Backside wirh the gearbox removed:
schaub51002.jpg

the gearbox with a heavy output-shaft:
schaub51006.jpg

and the problem:
schaub51004.jpg

Schaublin

Hi Spud, I recently bought a 53 frome auction in UK, complete with slotting head & drilling head. The drilling head swops with the normal head but the slotting head attaches to the overarm support bars & has a seperate driving gear. Digital camera out of action at present, replacement arriving for christmas via Ebay, will post some photos in January. I bought the machine unseen, have had to do some work, head indexing plunger & two clamping bolts were broken, two mic dial clamping screws were missing. General appearance is good, spindle seems fine, no holes or scars on the table. Should put some power to it it next few days, fingers crossed. Please keep the photos coming, they will be very useful if I have to strip down. Regards

New part made
schaub51001-1.jpg

Now I am this far, I dissamble more to clean and to learn:
schaub51003.jpg

schaub51004-1.jpg

schaub51007.jpg

All parts are OK, all looks like new.(in fact this mill has seen very little use)

Wat is that gear for? Rolling the round spindle housing? How did it get crunched? Nice work on the replacement! Did you do that? I'd love to see pix of that operation.

Thankyou for sharing those with us.

There is something appealingly logical about that massive Y axis cylinder, and those plain Z axis slideways look simple to true if it ever needs it.

Looks like a beautiful machine.

Thanks again
Keith

Kees

That ram looks quite solid & mighty heavy. I was reading about the 53 on Anglo Swiss tools site and it seems like a very versatile setup but complicated.

Apparently the ram will rotate in 15 degree increments plus the vertical head itself rotates, now add the backwards and forwards movement of ram and seems like some complicated enginerring taking place inside.

What is max weight the table will accept and max X travels?

From online searches, the 53 is about 2 tons. What you figure your 51 weighs?

I couldn't find any info on a 51 or 52 online. Online google link to a 51 is this thread.

Schaublin meets the VDF-lathe for cleaning the cilinder:
schaub51008.jpg

It's back in one peace:
schaub51009.jpg

Made in 1956, still the original paint.
Rklopp, made the gear on my Mikron with the index-head under the correct angle.That is the easy/fast way to make that part.

I have some more info, but I need to figure out first how to make a link.(too big files to place them her I think)

Mark:
This is a VDF S500 which I overhault in 2004.This one is 1500mm between the centers,
RPM 9-1800 drivetrain is a combination of gears and a flat belt (for better surface at high speeds) 15kW weight 3000kg. For me this is one of the best lathes ever made.

vdf1.jpg

I couldnt help but notice the backshield doesnt look like one that would come with that lathe. Nor does the DRO and panel, I assume you installed those yourself? I like the way it looks and I hope you will share with us some of your other machines in the future.

Charles

15 kw

:(

ah well,,,, i can only dream ....bet there isn't a 5 kw version of that lathe .

it looks to me...one of the best lathes ever made ...

what's the headstock through-hole size .

and whats the swing

found this info

VDF is an acronym for
Vereinigte Drehbank-Fabriken which translates basically
to: Combined Lathe Makers. They were:

Gebr. Boehringer G.m.b.h., Göppingen
Franz Baun A.-G Zerbst
Heidenreich & Harbeck, Hamburg
H. Wohlenberg Komm.-Ges., Hannover

all the best.mark

i have a 51 for sale. if somebody is interested, please contact me.
the maschine is in switzerland.

Problem is no bussiness in the EU is allowed to buy your machine without putting a CE on it
All machines imported into the EU have to get a CE certification New and used ones
Switserland is no EU member
Selling it to a private person would be no problem (I think)

Peter from holland

Problem is no bussiness in the EU is allowed to buy your machine without putting a CE on it
All machines imported into the EU have to get a CE certification New and used ones
Switserland is no EU member
Selling it to a private person would be no problem (I think)

Peter from holland
So what is the big deal about getting it certified?Do you have to get a level seven laser Lotus to do the inspection:D?Or is it just a sticker?

So what is the big deal about getting it certified?Do you have to get a level seven laser Lotus to do the inspection:D?Or is it just a sticker?

Don't know about mills, but I ran into this a while back.

I have a machine for cleaning small parts (watch parts primarily). Nice, compact industrial machine. Moves a basket with the parts through 4 baths with agitation. Some models had ultrasonic on the first bath. All were wired for it.

Call company- I would like to buy the ultrasonic bath.
Company- Yours is broken or you don't have it? (it's literally a 30 second drop in part)
Me- don't have it
Them- can't do it. Machine will then have to conform with CE and would cost more than a new machine to make compliant
Me- but if it had it already, you could sell me the unit?
Them-yes

The machines are virtually unchanged from their first incarnation in the mid 70s. Slight upgrades to the controls, and I guess on the latest ones CE compliant. Which isn't that big of a deal on a new build- but converting seems to be a mofo. Mechanically and electrically this thing is about 10% the complexity of a decent modern mill, so I can only imagine what it would cost to get an old machine up to snuff.

Place I used to work in bought some older Schaublin lathes and an Aciera mill out of a place in Paris. We spent days pulling off all kinds of BS guards and switches and stuff. I guess they made those compliant. Gotta love Switzerland- they still count on people using common sense. Bitch for export apparently though :). I guess the cleaning machine guys have to comply with everything since they export some of their product, or maybe all new builds need CE, not sure (and adding the ultrasonic qualifies as a new build). One of these days I will borrow the ultrasonic from a friend, bring the machine in, have a new one fitted and "keep the old one as a spare" :smoking:.

Back