UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    NB: Hoping the HBX-360-BC has a similar panache
    Did you get one of those ? If so, do you have the interesting tailstock with the wheel which the spokes pull out to enable/disable the slide ?

I've seen some of those have 2 compounds on the cross slide as well. I don't know much about them though, to be honest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Clive603 View Post
    I run a metric Smart & Brown 1024 Mk2 (VSL) myself and pretty much entirely agree with what Bill says. Except the few minutes to go from imperial to metric threading or vice versa. Standard method involves changing the stud for the transposing gear pair so the banjo has to come off first. I modified mine by bolting the transposing gear permanently to the roller bearing carrier of the standard idler gear so only the gearbox input gear needs to be changed and the banjo re-adjusted.
    Clive
    Clive - My 1024 Mk1 is an inch model, and I don't need to take the banjo off to go metric. This makes the changeover reasonably easy for me, particularly after a lot of practice. There must be some differences that make it more difficult if you start with a metric version, but I have to admit I didn't know this.

You are absolutely right about the motor. I eventually replaced mine with a more powerful inverter rated single speed motor as part of a change to a VFD drive. It cost me blood and torn muscles getting motors in and out several times while I made a new mounting frame.

3. Likes sandiapaul liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill

Brave man for doing the inverter drive change. I'd not care to take the motor and drive assembly out of mine and that's a much smaller and lighter unit. Still precious little room to spare tho'. Did a motor change on a model L once. Even more cramped. That was like playing super heavyweight solitaire.

MK 2 1024 in both metric and imperial versions has a large roller or ball bearing inside the standard idler gear in the drop train. Hence the stud won't take the compound transposing gear. Makes for a smooth drive and no worries about bush wear. Gears are (almost) a standard off the shelf size from HPC which is nice if some are missing. HPC ones are just a touch narrower.

Clive
    Last edited by Clive603; 04-21-2017 at 11:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ross,

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTA View Post
    So been reading all this with some interest....Pretty wide requirement list...So thought i would interject my 2 cents worth....
    I think your reasoning and suggestion of a Colchester 13" or 15" is very sound. What you are describing is probably the right approach for me.

There is a 15" Colchester Triumph 2000 available a few hundred km away from me. It is the short bed version with a removable gap. If it has not been repainted then it ought to be low wear, because the paint is in good shape. It's on a dealer's lot, which in Germany tends to indicate that it does not have significant mechanical issues.

I have read through the Triumph 2000 manuals available online, and found that the early version lathes appear to have had a foot-operated brake as you describe, but the later version ones eliminated the foot control and the brake was only operated by a hand lever. This one has no foot brake visible in the photos.

I will try and take a look at this lathe in the next week or two. The price is reasonable, and as far as I can see, the only spec of mine that is not met is that the support is only partially oiled by a one-shot built-in pump, there are some oil points that need by-hand treatment. I can certainly live with that.

As you said, the gearbox does indeed permit all the standard metric and inch threads to be cut without moving any changewheels or putting in a transposing gear. (It does not have a 127 tooth gear in the gearbox, but uses other combinations to get close enough that in practice it would be off by just a few microns over a few hundred mm, less than typical thermal expansion.)

As you wrote, the spindle bore is 6" Camlock D1, but I have not been able to confirm the Jarno internal taper. I expect that one can find a 5C-Jarno adaptor, but have not searched to see if it's true.

Cheers,
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bruce
    Just because you said you can spend 10k...
    Cazeneuve Optica 36 22 cnc lathe - Troostwijk

I can't stop looking that beauty....

best regards
    Kyriakos

7. Likes traditional-tools liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Historically Colchester tended to use truncated Morse tapers in the spindle. Truncated both ends too so figuring out what you actually had could be difficult.

If that was still the case with the Triumph 2000 a cut down Morse 6 seems a likely candidate, Best of luck telling the difference between that and a section of Jarno 18. Less than 2 thou per inch difference.

Might be worth investigating offerings from the makers of lever collet closers to see if suitable spare part can be got at less than factory prices. Factory spindle nose bushings alway seem to be lunatic expensive..

Or just mount up an external chuck on a D1-6 backplate. If you only need to hold round work a Bernerd Mutisize system might work out less costly. Typically £300-£400 on E-Bay for little used sets.

Clive

9. Likes ballen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bruce:
    Some additional thoughts on the Colcheaster:

First off Clive makes a good point on the spindle internal taper...Think an E-mail to someone like Royal products who made the 5-c setup i have at work on my Colchester would settle the taper question.
    Looked at the machine manual and no mention of the taper.
    Royal no longer makes a manual closer , but the spindle adapter will be the same whether powered or manual....

As to lubrication....At least on my 15" Colchester at work, there are indeed manual ball type oil fittings on the carriage...However...those are there as "Backup" .
    The one shot lube pump that is fitted to the face of the apron lubes all carriage lube points , given that all is in proper working condition.....
    There are no other lube points on the entire machine....All idler gearing at the machine back are fitted with sealed/shielded ball bearings....
    Head stock gears clutches and spindle bearings are all lubed via an oil pump that runs constantly when the main motor is on...Oil is supplied to the head stock from a "dry Sump" style oil tank.and returns to same via a drain in the bottom....
    Quick change box has its own sump .

Additional notes...One of the great features of this machine is the long cross feed travel. The cross slide is wide and ground flat which allows back side tooling to be fitted and used, or that surface can be used for special setups and holding...(line boring etc)

Was not aware on the exclusion of the foot brake...that is really too bad. The foot brake is one feature i really like and you grow to depend on ....

Be aware that late versions of this machine i believe were built in Asia....Can't say anything about the fit and finish of the machines that were built outside of the UK....All is can say is that mine is fine, good fit and
    finish, and it has been drop dead reliable.....

Cheers Ross

11. Likes ballen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dominus164 View Post
    Hi Bruce
    Just because you said you can spend 10k...
    Cazeneuve Optica 36 22 cnc lathe - Troostwijk

I can't stop looking that beauty....

best regards
    Kyriakos

Cazeneuve control made by ?????????...What could go wrong...
    Cheers Ross

13. Likes ballen liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the later version Triumph 2000 with the electric brake controlled by start lever. Now I'd prefer a foot brake but didn't know any better at the time.

Lucky7

15. Likes AlfaGTA liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

G'day Ballen,

On the Holbrook Forum (Yahoo, a Holbrook Minor Lathe has just come up for sale.

Might be worth a look at, but I think you had better be quick.

Regards

Quentin

Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post

"The French are a most peculiar race..." feet, faces, and apparently machine-tools as well... Good cheese makers, though, so have earned the benefit of any doubts.
    Hi All,

Vive le difference! Having a holiday home in France i`ve looked for a lathe there and found that second hand French products do tend to be idiosyncratic and extremely expensive to buy! French cheese is ok by me but her indoors won`t let me keep the ripe Brie in the fridge! My French neighbours love a bit of very mature British Cheddar and I have to bring them Aberdeen Angus steaks when I come from a visit to the UK, not forgetting a decent bottle of Whisky as well!

Well, the boys have all been throwing their fantasy lathe keys on the bar, which set is going to be picked up I wonder? Bruce threw a list of wants at us but surely the most important consideration is what he actually wants to machine on this all singing and dancing lathe that probably doesn`t exist! If we knew this we could probably make more sensible and accurate suggestions.

Colchester lathes were made by pipe smoking blokes called Bill that went down the pub for lunch but as Clive suggested, the lathes are now made in a country where the workers slurp noodles and live on a handfull of rice a day!

Addressing the collet situation and the 5c requirement, nobody has mentioned that collets that are mounted in the bore of the spindle actually restrict the diameter of the longer lengths of material that need to be held within the spindle itself!

Clive mentioned Bernerd collet chucks, these are held in the case of the Colchester, externally on a camlock backplate, or are purpose made with the backplate and chuck combined which reduces the overhang. They also have a quick change type available for repetition work. No draw bar is necessary as the collets are tightened by a gear system similar to Jacobs chucks.

There are various ranges of Burnerd collets up to 2 1/2" diameter the most useful range is the "C" range which is seamless from 1/16" to 1 1/2" diameter using just twelve collets and can handle square and hexagon material using a dedicated collet.

dscn2376.jpg

Here is a boxed set of Burnerd "EC" Multisize collets, I don`t just talk about them, I use them!

My money is firmly plonked down on Colchester and yes! I did have a nice square head Student once!

Alan