What's new
What's new

What is a Hauser M1 Jig bore worth these days, what would be a fair price to pay

RayKehrhan

Aluminum
Hello,

Went to an estate sale, and found a nicely preserved hauser M1 jog borer.. Has a rotary table, no spindle that I could find, but the family is going to let me look around tomorrow.. it does have a Microscope centering attachment? Not sure if that is the right name..

Just wondering what would be a fair price to offer.. Any suggestions?

By the way it is in very nice condition. Not banged up at all, everything is very smooth moving..

Thanks
Ray

I'm not so pessimistic. That thing is small enough to move around in a pick up truck and would have some interest to the clock and watch making hobby types. Not that it would be an easy sell, but I'd think $800 to $1,000 might be possible, maybe more on a good day. That said, in your situation I would offer less and see what happens. $500 or $600 maybe. It is a nice little unit.

Alan

I was not familiar with these machines, I was picturing something MUCH larger, like a Moore or P&W. I think Moonlight Machine was as well, I agreed with him until I saw the pictures, now I'm just intrigued.

They start at about 3K and go up from there.

Depends on condition and accessories.

800 or a thousand would be a steal!

The original spindle is cable driven from a mechanical continuously variable drive.

For $$$ you could source a replacement spindle here. Finding a replacement oerlikon-contraves drive would be very difficult. You would probably have adapt the cable drive to a VFD driven motor.

The missing spindle brings the price down considerably, as without it the machine is just a microscope.

show.asp

I was not familiar with these machines, I was picturing something MUCH larger, like a Moore or P&W. I think Moonlight Machine was as well, I agreed with him until I saw the pictures, now I'm just intrigued.

Yeah I was thinking about some giant obsolete boat anchor. Please excuse me as I did not know what I was talking about.

Hello

Here is an update on what I was able to find.

I found the milling table, I found the spindle for milling operations, I found two spindle for jig boring operations, and there is the rotary table attachment.. I think also there is the original stand as it is painted the same color but was not with the machine.. I say that because it looks like some photos that I have seen..

I really would like to get a good sense of what would be a fair price to pay given all that goes with it..

Thanks
Ray

Ray, if I were in your shoes and these were people I didn't know, I'd offer them $1000 or $1500, and be prepared to move up a bit if needed. If they were friends or relatives I would go higher. It looks like a beautiful tool. Cheers, Bruce

Estate sale? Offer them $100. If they wanted more money then they should put out the effort to find out what they have and then try to sell it for what it is worth. Most estate sales love $100 sales.

Ray- can you post pics of the machine with the accessories they located so we can give you a better estimate?

Markus

The story continues, and photos of Hauser M1

Markusfu,

So the story continues, I did go back and purchase the Hauser M1.. [/I] After completing that, I was ask if I would like to see some "machine" that was upstairs in an office. The "machine is an Aciera F1 on a metal cabinet. What looks to me to be a very nice little milling machine for small instrument, clock and watch work.. I also purchased that.. I have to go back to pick it up later today.. I was not able to get into the cabinet as stuff was piled on each side of it.. Now that I have done a little research, I can't wait to see what in it..

Here are pictures of the Hauser and the associated pieces that I was able to find.. It does need to be cleaned up, there is dried oil in many places.. There also is one paint wear mark on the main body, not sure how they did that.. I will continue looking for the drive cable and motor, haven't been able to locate it yet.. I did give them a picture of what it looks like so that they can be on the look out as the continue to clean out the house..

IMG_1740.jpg IMG_1739.jpg IMG_1741.jpg IMG_1742.jpg

Ray, when you move it be sure to lift on the nubs below the X slide and not on the slide itself. The slide is just on there by gravity and you'll bend the screw or worse. Most M1s don't have those lifting handles you see in the first pics you posted, I guess Hauser figured out at some point a lot of machines were getting screwed up from lifting, or they were added later (that machine actually belongs to a friend of mine in Italy, I should ask him if they are original).

I prefer to move them dismantled, it just makes it safer. There are two flat head screws at the end of each slide, if you remove them you've disengaged the nut, then remove the retaining screw on the slide locks and you can slide out the little cam handles. The slides just lift off then and the machine is in easily handled pieces. Yes, one person can lift the whole machine but it's pushing it, I'm 6' and not wimpy and wouldn't do it.

There should be an overhead drive like in jbc's pic. It's a Contraves drive, and takes a special oil, Monsanto Santotrac 50. You can get it by the liter and is pricey for oil but the machine only takes 50cc so a liter will last forever. Don't try any other oil in there; the drive is really robust but hard to service.

Screwmachine,

Thanks for your advice... I will be sure to take all under consideration when I move it... I had noticed that gravity played a significant part with the slide so I moved it by securing it to a piece of 3/4" plywood and used that as a "tray" to carry it out with the assistance of a hydraulic lifting cart..

I will have to disassemble the Aciera to get it down the stairs... It is much to unwieldy to move as one unit.. Im headed back there shortly to retrieve it..

Ray

The Aciera won't need major disassmbly; the spindle comes out and unplugs from the body, then the vert attachment comes out, then you take off whatever table is on it. The body comes off the base with 4 bolts and you should have access in the base to the wires. The body is doable alone and the base is a two man job or one with a good hand truck.

There can be quite a few accessories for the F1 so have a good look around!

So, you bought a Hauser M1 and an Aciera F1, all at estate sale prices? Don't bother buying lottery tickets anymore, you've already won. Lucky son of a .... gun!

Enjoy them

John

HI ALL ... I would like to add the above machine that was for sale isn't an M1 but is an H1 which was the predecessor of the Hauser M1 , that was just for completeness of information

Best regards

Back