What's new
What's new

What kind of FP2 head is this?

lobito

Aluminum
Hi

I've stumbled on this ad for this Deckel FP2 head and I'm wondering what kind of head this is.
It says high speed milling head but I only know the version with the motor attached to it.
Can somebody clarify this.

Thanks Rinaldo

050a4dd1d3eed1ca159ab31c5016eba972cb1016.jpg

c658006b802b99ea87d75a5f0efd153d43233271.jpg

Yes that head or a simular one was also used on older boring heads which have a gearbox in the horisontal arm to increase spindlespeed and provide powerfeed But this one does not have the gearbox in the hor part So its just a anglehead with 100 mm stroke
To me the heads look the same but there could be a difference
I never had a old boringhead that kind
Here are some pics of FP2 with such a head and a drwing of the boring head Erik is refering to

DSC03366.jpg DSC03646.jpg deckel boring head.jpg

Peter

It is correct that this is an old Deckel head. But it's not the boring head, as one can see from the photo because the mounting arm/ram is missing the advance mechanism and extra gearing. Instead, this is an early version of the vertical head, before the spindle was mounted in a round quill. Here is the relevant page (bottom left) from the FP2 parts diagram:

attachment.php

I'm not good at reading these pictures, perhaps I have misunderstood how this works, because I don't see how one can replace the quill with a slide but still have the bevel gears staying properly engaged!

Cheers,
Bruce

Bruce

Above drawing is very confusing as the top section is for a normal angle head while the lower part is for the angle head at hand
At least that is how I see it

Peter

Hi Peter,

I'm looking at the lower drawing only, but am confused by it. I think I might understand now how it works. Is it like this: the bevel gear which is concentric with the spindle is keyed, and so the spindle can slide up and down inside that bevel gear?

Cheers,
Bruce

Hi Peter,

I'm looking at the lower drawing only, but am confused by it. I think I might understand now how it works. Is it like this: the bevel gear which is concentric with the spindle is keyed, and so the spindle can slide up and down inside that bevel gear?

Cheers,
Bruce

Yes perfect discription for both heads :)

Peter

G'day Gents,
Thank you Bruce for providing the drawing showing the original vertical milling head for the FP2. I imported my FP2 from Holland some years go and it has this head. My machines Serial Number is 45091 which according to the S/N table means the it was the 91st machine made, in the year 1952.
Mine is still non operational, but the time is coming that I will finish off its full overhaul/restoration. I like this design as it is simpler in terms of repair and maintenance, though it is a bit more bulky.
Does anyone know why production of this head was discontinued?
Were there issues that need to be watched or rectified to achieve long life?
Thanks again
Regards
Quentin

Back