What's new
What's new

What standard does Schaublin use for what they call ISO 30 Spindles

Luke Rickert

Hot Rolled
As far as I can tell the International Standards Organization does not have a standard nr 30. There is ISO 297:1988 (7/24 tapers for tool shanks for manual changing) which looks close from what I can see without buying it but the ISO website and the wikipedia list do not include anything called ISO 30. Is what Schaublin made the same as DIN 2080-1 without a grove or perhaps there is another standard in play such as NMTB. It seems like standards just make things more complicated as they give the false impression things are actually standardized.

I ask because I need a few tool holders for my 13 mill and am frustrated by not having an accurate search term. I was thinking I might get some Bison holders as they seem to be a good middle ground between the cheap chinese and super expensive Swiss parts. Has anyone tried Bison Type 7311 holders in a "ISO 30" Schaublin head? I can't find a dimension on the length of the end but they appear to be M12 threaded anyway.

This is from the Schaublin tool holding catalog:
schaublinDIN2080.JPG

Which would imply that "ISO 30" = DIN 2080 at the current time but what about 45 years ago when they made my milling machine.

Luke

Iso 30 only refers to the spindletaper
Not how you pull it tight
The Din 2080 refers to a toolholder with the straight piece on top with metric inside treading
So your Din 2080 has a Iso taper But not every tool with a Iso taper is Din2080
There is also BT Mas Cat Din 67???? But these all refere to the way they are pulled in and/or held with a toolchanger
The taper on these is all eighter ISO 30 40 50 and even 35 45
Thats how I understand it

Peter

Peter is right, I think. ISO 30, BT 30 nmtb 30 etc, it's all the same cone. The notches may be different, though. The drawbar thread may be 12mm or 1/2", even on swiss machines. (I do not know for certain that Schaublin made both, but Aciera certainly did, at least in the 40ies and 50ies. They even made metric machines with imperial drawbar thread, and vice versa.) The retention knob for machines so equipped are also wildly different. I think Schaublin has made machines with at least 2, maybe 3 different "standards", of which at least one is different from all other brands. I think Schaublin must have had a whole department researching screw threads, oil seals, o-ring standards, gear PA, variator belts etc no one else could copy. Just think of the remarkable trianglish hub shape of Schaublin change gears! And they even intermixed german, imperial and italian o-ringstandards on the same machine. (ever heard of the italian o-ring standard? Live and learn!)

Ole

Iso 30 only refers to the spindletaper
Not how you pull it tight
The Din 2080 refers to a toolholder with the straight piece on top with metric inside treading
So your Din 2080 has a Iso taper But not every tool with a Iso taper is Din2080
There is also BT Mas Cat Din 67???? But these all refere to the way they are pulled in and/or held with a toolchanger
The taper on these is all eighter ISO 30 40 50 and even 35 45
Thats how I understand it

Peter

"How I understand it"- and I have been wrong before. A lot. But PM corrects that rather quickly and well..

:)

... is that NMTB (National Machine Tool Builders) segued first to ANSI (American National Standards Inst.) probably paralleled by DIN (Deutsches Industrie Normal), thence both to ISO (International Standards Organization).

All the while, the taper remained the same.

For MOST of NMTB, CAT, BT, Ericksson, there were also TWO options, not just one, for arse-end threads, a majority, widely known and used, plus a less-often seen minority option.

And then.. there are differences in tail extension, or not, toolchanger grip grooves, or not, whether two driving lug cutouts, one, none, or a "Quick Change" flange. Also gage lines, etc.

But the taper remains the same.

Interchangeable "enough" for a manual machine where more than one drawbar and a bit of fiddling around to save a sheckel or three on "great deal" tooling buy is a valid option.

Not so "interchangeable" for a CNC spindle meant to be fed out of a magazine with but one toolchanger, etc.

We can at least be grateful it isn't as a troublesome as Morse or B&S taper, nor as costly as HSK or Capto...

:)

Is what Schaublin made the same as DIN 2080-1

1961 sales catalogue says DIN 2079 size 30. Also VSM 33931 - size 32 and NS 1 1/4".

It's a standard 30 taper with a parallel threaded end.

Almost all 30 taper things can be made to fit.

Some may require an extended or imperial or different-diameter drawbar.

If you use a threaded rod with a (high ) nut on the topside as a pull bar you can easaly adjust the lenght of the pull bar so you can tighten both Din 2080 and all the other shorter ones with the same thread
Thats how I did it on my Rambaudi

Peter

Back