What's new
What's new

What's the general time to get some Deckel parts from F. Singer to USA ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
My experience using the usual DHL to USPS method has been about one week in the past but this lastest order has been over two week now. The USPS tracking nuber shows it was shipped Nov. 23 and in Frakfurt Nov. 28....then it goes dark.

Small box, may Nov 8 x 10" and 14 lgs. At whoe point whould I worry ? (value is about $500)

I've done a number of DHL shipments from Germany to the USA. Some have been as fast as five days. Some have taken four to five weeks. In one case I split a shipment across three boxes. They were sent at the same time from the same DHL location to the same address in the USA. They arrived over a time span of THREE WEEKS! The main random element seems to be customs clearance. "Over two weeks" is no cause for worry, find something else to work on while you wait for the parts.

Cheers, Bruce

USPS tracking system is not on par with UPS/Fedex, often times we have packages get delivered well before their tracking shows the package even in the correct state.
Usually 3-4 weeks if standard delivery from Germany.
Have found it's best for my nerves to plan on longer and forget about it, then be happily surprised if it shows up sooner.
When it's something needed "now", works best to pay extra for expedited delivery in my experience.

When it's something needed "now", works best to pay extra for expedited delivery in my experience.
I'm in no super hurry for the Deckel stuff I ordered but every order I have made with Singer in the past year or so (3 orders I think) was about the same size box, similar value and arrived in a week, so this one at over two weeks, combined with the lack of info via tracking, had me concerned. However reading posts here I am less so now, thanks.

I ordered an LCD monitors from Australia a couple times via UPS and they arrived faster than they would have from California. Fastest ever from across the Atlantic pond was some Myford grinder parts via Parcet2Go.com (they actually subbed it to FedEx) they picked up in UK on Thursday and at my doorstep on Monday ! At nominal ship cost too. Unfortunately Parcel2Go is only good for UK stuff, not Germany.

(they do show Germany to USA on their website but when you fill in the info for a quote it says "service not available to your area")

I ordered something from the Netherlands about six months ago. It was sent via Nederlands Post to ?. I tracked it every step of the way while it was in Europe. When it arrived in NY it seemingly disappeared from the system. I made phone calls to customs at JFK, local customs, and others and no one had any clue how such a thing worked. No one even knew who was going to take it the last 2,000 miles. Then about a week later, without any further tracking information updates, a little note arrived in my mail box saying to come pick up my packages at the post office. This might be what is about to happen to you.

I ordered something from the Netherlands about six months ago. It was sent via Nederlands Post to ?. I tracked it every step of the way while it was in Europe. When it arrived in NY it seemingly disappeared from the system. I made phone calls to customs at JFK, local customs, and others and no one had any clue how such a thing worked. No one even knew who was going to take it the last 2,000 miles. Then about a week later, without any further tracking information updates, a little note arrived in my mail box saying to come pick up my packages at the post office. This might be what is about to happen to you.
Interesting you mention the Netherlands as I bought an NOS Schaublin lever collet closer from there a couple of months ago and it arrived via regular post pretty quick...within about 8 days I think.

Now I'm beginning to think I've just been unusually lucky on Euro shipments and my luck has finally run out. :(

While on this this topic; what method would anyone experienced recommend for a small-medium crate of parts from Switzerland to the US. Maybe 500 lbs (Schäublin 135 & 150 parts).

Thanks in advance.

I had been led to believe that the USPS would be bringing the item from NY to where I lived. But when it had no tracking updates for many days, I started to get worried. I went to the post office and asked them to check their system. They had no clue what had happened to it. Then I started to get really worried as my item was pretty rare, expensive and something I had been looking for for over a decade. My item was two boxes which had a combined weight of 80 pounds and obviously went by truck. I suspect your item, even if your item is not heavy, it is on a truck going by way of the North Pole. The USPS is just not set up to track international shipments, and it is bogged down by the shipping volumes normally encountered in December.

That's not uncommon. I bet you'll see activity before long... If it didn't get scanned before it hit the customs warehouse, it could be some days before it gets scanned again this time of year.
Yes, USPS tracking is not great and can have a lot of holes, but the only things I've ever had lost by them were items that the shipper was stupid about and they broke out of the box. USPS did get the box to me though!

I had bought one small Hardinge part from California that took several weeks to get to me. I assumed they had lost it, but it finally showed up after about 6 weeks. It had taken a little side trip to Malaysia on it's way to Michigan.

Good Luck!

It has now been about 5 weeks since shipment and still nothing. Tracking still reveals nothing past Nov. 28. Anyone here never get their F. Singer package or will I be the first ? :ill:

I bought some Porsche parts from a seller in Holland. He mailed them OCT. 10 via PostNL Priority. I received them yesterday, two months and 20 days after mailing. My theory is that they came around Cape Horn.

It has now been about 5 weeks since shipment and still nothing. Tracking still reveals nothing past Nov. 28. Anyone here never get their F. Singer package or will I be the first ? :ill:

Don, hopefully your package was delayed by the Christmas-time shipping rush. But now that there is no tracking update after a month, I suspect it is high time to contact DHL or file a case with them. I sure hope your stuff turns up! Cheers, Bruce

I bought some Porsche parts from a seller in Holland. He mailed them OCT. 10 via PostNL Priority. I received them yesterday, two months and 20 days after mailing. My theory is that they came around Cape Horn.
Did you have any indication during that time as to where the package might be at any point ?

Did you have any indication during that time as to where the package might be at any point ?

None. The seller said it was not unusual. Based on additional shipping experiences, I think some countries in Europe still use a slow boat for standard shipping, plus the items can sit in customs for days.

FWIW, last week got a letter from USPS where Franz Singer requested investigation of the shipment for me to check and sign "I got the package" or "I did not receive the package" and mailed that sheet back. Still don't have it. Worse part is I can never trust this ship method again and will have to pay way more for "express" DHL in the future. If only Parcel2Go.com worked for Germany to US and not just the UK to US.

You just can't tell-I ordered some cheap ballscrews from China on Christmas day, and received them on 2/28.

Yeah, maybe Trump will do something about that...

I had a Chinese buyer purchase a 15 pound item from me for $30, and the shipping came to $96 cheapest way. Somehow the Chinese are able to mail things from China to US using USPS!! And cheap.

Back