What's new
What's new

Where to get Deckel SO grinder wheels?

rklopp

Diamond
What's a good source for the 100 x 50 x 20 grinding wheels used on the Deckel SO cutter grinder? None of the usual catalogs (MSC, Travers, Enco, Rutland, KBC) seem to list this size. I just picked up a Pregraph SO clone on eBay. It came with a diamond wheel, but no aluminum oxide wheel for HSS. The Pregraph, by the way, seems to be an outstanding machine, if a clone. I paid $500. The Pregraph is listed for $2,900 in an old KBC catalog I have, so I'm happy. No more foolish thoughts of atttempting a Quorn!!!

Try Deckel Grinders, Inc. in Waterbury, CT ph (203) 759-1622, fax (203) 759-1632 Haven't bought any grinding wheels from them but purchased a couple of collets about a year ago.

I ended up with the last Carborundum Deckel SO wheel in MSC's system! I also found I could order CGW Deckel SO wheels from Rutland if I wanted to. I have also adapted 1-1/4" bore toolroom flaring cup and Type 12 dish wheels to the 20-mm Deckel spindle. The latter two wheels are considerably cheaper than the wheel especially made for the SO, like by a factor of three.

All very interesting! I just went out to the shop to measure SO spindles and wheels. My SO serial number 77-17923 has a taper spindle with a Woodruff key. The wheel adapters accept 1 1/4 inch bore wheels. The adapters have a straight thread in a cylindrical portion in front of the taper that fits the spindle. A threaded part is screwed into the adapter to facilitate removal. I bought 1 1/4 inch bore wheels for this one right out of the J & L catalog. The other one is marked SON and has a 14mm cylindrical spindle. It has flanges with pilots that permit it to accept wheels with a standard 20mm bore. I would just make up an outboard flange with a pilot for 1 1/4 inch bore wheels, which seem to be available most anywhere. This would center the wheel, and you would not have to remove the inboard flange, which may be pressed on.

The one marked SON accepts Deckel 16mm collets rather than the 20mm used on the one marked SO.

Jim

My SO is s/n 59-1907. (I believe the first two digits are the year of manufacture.) It has a straight 14mm shaft with a 12mm-1.0 thread on the end. I guess they went to the tapered shaft sometime between 1959 and 1977?

Back