What's new
What's new

WTB a FP-1

ab machinery in Stint Laurent Canada has a FP-1 on e-bay for $4700 shipping to Seattle $665.
Has someone look at the machine. how much back lash how are the ways and such.
I don't want to spend $5300. and have to trust a e-bay sell to tell the truth.
Its S/N 53460/28 how old is it?
Thanks
John

I have 2 right now
One with a MT4 but also the round dials
And one with NT40 But that one is missing the electrical cabinet

Shipping from Holland to Seattle I would think its not much more as that $665

Peter

I have 2 right now
One with a MT4 but also the round dials
And one with NT40 But that one is missing the electrical cabinet

Peter
Peter, on the one missing the electrical cabinet, did the previous owner conjure up an alternative to run the machine ?

Otherwise I should think having the original electrical cabinet would be rather important as there quite a bit of "stuff" in those cabinets.

I know The original cabinet was missing when I bought it
We have to get at least a Dahlander switch on it to function
Even the one on my website now does not have the original cabinet so I have to check which options are present
I wonder though how many people use any of those options on the electrical cabinet
You have outlets for a centering microscope, OPL measuring system , and the high speed head This one can be conneted to another outlet without problems like the machine lamp Perhaps I forgot something

Peter

Here is one closer than Holland...
DECKEL FP1 Horizontal Milling Machine - tools - by owner - sale
It has been for sale over a year I know of....
Owner sounds like compete idiot...calling it a "dial type" when it is obviously an older lever type...not to mention no vertical head..... (FWIW, I have an FP1 vertical head for sale, however...MT4 style....would be perfect for that machine ;)....runs quiet and quill moves smooth as silk.... )

I don't need a fixer upper just don't have the time better to pay a bit more for a newer one and shipping can't be that bad
I sent e-mail to Holland we will see how much it well cost.

So Peter do you work for or with Veltman Machine
I sent them a note
send photos of the other machine
I will be over to London on 9/29 and can come over to you then
John

Peter

I think that is optimistic. I just shipped ~180 kg of Aciera parts from Switzerland to California USA for US$1250 all-in, including brokerage, transport from Switzerland to Bremerhaven port, a cruise across the Atlantic to NYC, and trucking from NYC to California. I shopped the cost a little, and that was the lowest I got. It was fun using the VesselFinder app to follow the ship from Charleston SC (on the way east before pickup) to London to Le Havre to Rotterdam to Bremerhaven to NYC. Unlike when tracking a FedEx truck, I could even see how fast and exactly which direction the driver was going! The ship works like a bus shuttling freight back and forth across the Atlantic. Oddly enough, air shipment would have only been marginally higher. I used Schneider Transport, and recommend them. They were very good at providing updates and explaining the process to someone who had never done an international freight shipment before. Transportfirma: Schneider – Logistik seit 1865. : Schneider Transport

I think that is optimistic. I just shipped ~180 kg of Aciera parts from Switzerland to California USA for US$1250 all-in, including brokerage, transport from Switzerland to Bremerhaven port, a cruise across the Atlantic to NYC, and trucking from NYC to California.

Paid a tad over USD $ 2,500 for 800 lbs avoir, on two, Dulles VA, Buchanan, MI, just a month or so ago. Special handling and circumstances, but still.

Typically USD $300-plus to move anything from a used Phase-Perfect (light, actually), to 980 lbs of metal, to 1200 lbs of surface plate. All by bog-standard no-special priority ground trans, competitive LTL truck rates. Estes and others.

"Optimistic" doesn't begin to describe $665 for a Deckel mill. Nederlands to West coast, USA.

EVEN SO...if Peter has a GOOD ONE at a good price?

It is, in fact, still possible to at least break-even on the price + freight, net-net.
US trans is not ordinarily as cheap as $665 anyway.

It is a really short and inexpensive flight from London if John wants to go-see. I'd encourage that visit, sale of a mill or not.

I'd also recommend a rental car and some sight-seeing time whilst on the continent. They drive on the same side of the road as Yanks do, and generally are better behaved drivers than many of ours are.

I too agree that $665 is way optimistic for shipping. Maybe more like $2,000. I also agree that VesselFinder app is cool. When DeckelNut finally shipped my spiral milling attachment (remember that fiasco?) I was able to watch it steam across the Atlantic, up the St. Lawrence, and all the way into the port of Chicago.

In any case you should take Peter up on his offer. I spent a day at Peter's place about a year and a half ago, it is very cool and worth the trip. Keep in mind any machine you get from Peter will be metric.

Alan

The last thing I exported was a Schaublin 160
Transport DAP (deliverd at the buyer) Los angeles was €955,-
The only thing the buyer needs to take care of in every situation if you import something by boat is the ISF filing
You need a custom broker for it
From a broker
To file the ISF is $40.00 usd
“If the importer has a importers bond on file with customs."
If the importer does not have a continuous importers bond, they must purchase an ISF bond, which is additional $100.00 usd.

Mistake people (and me too in the past Sorry Ross)make is going for the cheapest way to get it in the USA
That is CIF port But then the buyer has to hire a custom broker to arrange all the port handling That bit costs more as all the rest of the transport Port handling in the US is very expencive And for a one time event you do not get the best prices So if my forwarder arranges that they get a much better price Also you know in advance how much all costs If you decide on CIF port make sure you get all the costs of your broker in advance

Peter

In any case you should take Peter up on his offer. I spent a day at Peter's place about a year and a half ago, it is very cool and worth the trip. Keep in mind any machine you get from Peter will be metric.

Alan

Yes Alan It was nice to meet you and talk the talk
Always happy to meet up with PM members

So are motor vehicles. BFD.

Feature, not a bug, on a Deckel. DRO's are commonly bilingual. So are Americans.

Having a bad day are we? I never suggested it was a BFD or a bug or anything of the sort. Just something to keep in mind in case it would be an issue for you, as it would be for me.

Back