What's new
What's new

Yes, Deckel parts can be expensive...

TNB

Stainless
A lot have already been said about Deckel spare parts prices...
I'm not gonna open the can of worms again, but I have to admit *some* prices can be outrageous.
I knew it already of course, but I think we've reached a new level.

How about a little poll ? :)
How much do you think the assembly below could cost, new, assuming it would be *very* expensive ?
(FYI, it's one of the two locking lever assemblies for the x-axis of a Deckel FP1 - so just in case you would have read quickly, you need TWO of them for ONE machine)

Please for the fun of it, try to answer with your guts instead of searching on the net you cheaters !!! :D

deckel x axis locking lever.jpg

Now waiting for your bets...

considering the ~300EUR tool draw bar price as listed on ebay, this being an assembly from manufacturers warehouse, I'd say something like 700-800 would sound fair... :D

I'm not sure if this applies to machine tools, but car makers are bound by law to have spare parts for their vehicles for X amount of years after the manufacturing of that vehicle has been ended, so some of these prices are raised to astronomical and unreal levels just to avoid people emptying their stock, and pushing them into making another batch of the parts just to comply with the law, which would be quite expensive for them.

7/800 euros ?! Now that's a bet ! :eek:

Let's see what other players will say...

I'll put in a bid at a seemingly reasonable but still a bit expensive $300 for the pair.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

! :nutter:

This is a price level I could imagine for one-offs made on special order... and even then.
But we're talking about spare parts offered as such !

To put things in perspective for those who might wonder where the part takes place on the machine, here you are :
On the side of the saddle, just below the x-axis leadscrew...

4-594.jpg

Sometimes parts are very reasonable
Bellows for example are cheep compared to others
Also the small jog wheels Quillsprings Rubber seals
But then you have something simple that costs a arm and leg
I know the bracket for the coolant pipe on the left side is also such a item

peter

A lot have already been said about Deckel spare parts prices...
I'm not gonna open the can of worms again, but I have to admit *some* prices can be outrageous.
I knew it already of course, but I think we've reached a new level.
Now waiting for your bets...

Hi Deckeleers,

Yes TNB, I still remember the heat that I got from forum members for mentioning this fact a few months ago and you were one of those that chose to try it on with me. You are opening that can of worms again and now choose to voice an opposite opinion than before!

Yes black is white when trolling is concerned,

NOW IT`S OFFICIAL! DECKEL SPARE PARTS FROM SINGER ARE SERIOUSLY OVERPRICED!

I`m guessing that those two items that require a certain amount of precision will be priced in the order of 1200 GBP.

I had a lucky break today, I was going to ask Singer for a price for the Z axis locking lever which as you know is made from two parts that are splined together and The lever portion was missing from my FP1. I doubt that they will supply the lever only so that I would have to order the complete lever assembly from them.

I found the missing lever in a box of tools that I got with the machine.

So TNB, are you going to make those parts or buy them?

Alan

Yes TNB, I still remember the heat that I got from forum members for mentioning this fact a few months ago and you were one of those that chose to try it on with me. You are opening that can of worms again and now choose to voice an opposite opinion than before!

You can re-read my posts in that thread and will have to admit that I did NOT express my opinion about Deckel spare parts prices. Will you ?

Yes black is white when trolling is concerned,

And you know what you're talking about, right ? ;)

NOW IT`S OFFICIAL! DECKEL SPARE PARTS FROM SINGER ARE SERIOUSLY OVERPRICED!

You say so. I don't.
I suppose your english is good enough for you to understand the subtle difference there is between "expensive" and "overpriced", and the nuance the words "some" or "can" can add to a sentence.
Plus I seem to recall your debate with Peter was about Deckel parts in general and not particularly Singer's prices. Wich, again, is different.

I`m guessing that those two items that require a certain amount of precision will be priced in the order of 1200 GBP.
Not bad and at last something that has to do with the thread I started.

So TNB, are you going to make those parts or buy them?

Luckily I don't need them.

Now back on tracks.
We already got some serious bets, but none of the gamblers did find the exact price so far (although some were very close !), so let's wait a little more to see if someone will come up with the winning number !

Ok so I was expecting a little bit more of gamblers on this one !
Seems like the Deckel crowd is not particularly fond of bets, so may be the time has come to give the result.

Well the assembly above is offered for the whopping price of *845* euros each !!!! :eek::nutter::crazy:

I'm not saying that that price is not legitimate in anyway because there is indeed a little more work in those parts, than first glace would suggest.
What amazes me is how/why such an assembly made its way to the market so as to be offered at that price level.

I mean.... Like I wrote earlier, I understand that those parts would probably be well worth the asking price in a one-off-made-on-special-order situation. No problem. But the likelihood of someone needing them so badly as to be willing to pay that price seems so low to me, the niche market seems so small, that I have hard time figuring out how someone took the chance of having them made to advertise them before that special order came... :confused:

If they are off-the shelf, I hope there aren't too many of them on the shelf !

Ok so I was expecting a little bit more of gamblers on this one !
Seems like the Deckel crowd is not particularly fond of bets, so may be the time has come to give the result.

Well the assembly above is offered for the whopping price of *845* euros each !!!!
!

Hi Deckeleers,

TNB, Sadly for you, there wasn`t much interest in this thread and it would seem that the prices of Deckel spare parts do not figure largely in the lives of those that own or use Deckel machinery. That is, until they are forced to buy spares and discover the reality of life in the underworld of Deckel.

I`m relieved that I can now continue to comment on the unreal prices of Deckel spares without being trolled by the unruly element on the forum!

So what`s the way forward? We could make this thready "sticky" so that prices paid for Deckel spares by forum members could be recorded for posterity.

TNB could take his thread a step further by asking Franz why these components are so expensive! I`m sure that Franz would be pleased to be given the opportunity to justify his pricing philosophy? After all, TNB and the boys were given two cups of coffee when they visited Franz, surely a mark of respect. Regretfully I have to report that they received two cups of coffee more than I did when I returned those faulty slow feed gears in person!

Unfortunately this thread could generate spin off threads such as "How little I paid for that Deckel spare". I bet that milacron is wringing his hands in despair about the valuable space that could be filled on the PM servers by such spurious threads!

Another worrying aspect of this thread is that the person that made the most incorrect low guess of the price of those spares was Peter from Holland, he should know better.

TNB, I have noted that in replies to my comments, you must have taken a long time to research and write up these posts that contain quotes from other threads, some out of context. Why do you bother? Better to use that time doing something more positive!

Alan

Well for what it's worth I'd say €400-500.00 but I'm sure I'd not pay that from Franz Singer.

IMO from experience it's down to "One off orders" or being a "Returning" customer with Franz.

... Joined the thread late! or I'd have bid earlier :)

Just seen the quoted price, NO WAY would I have be charged that! but I see the bleating continues.

I have to ask TNB, have you ever asked Franz if he's got "Good used ones" ??? ... you could be VERY surprised :D:D:D

Just my two euro's worth :D

John

Alan

I registered on PM back in 2002 and had nothing but pleasant experiences with other members here, untill you came.

So far, your contribution can be summed up to countless pages of verbiage to explain how you refitted a gear on a shaft, and redid a couple of stop dogs... Close to zero in my book.
That would be no problem.
But in the same time, you regularly managed to piss off some of our most valuable, friendly and patient members with your constant whining and sarcastic comments and I know of at least one recent member who quit posting because of you.

You are definitely a moron of the worst kind.

Please do me a favor and get a life...

Show the rest of us that you are smarter than me, put me on your "ignore" list and don't answer this post.
I'm sure it's something you won't be capable of.

Back