What's new
What's new

Z-axis crash

Jim MOC

Plastic
I've finally been getting a bit of garage time lately and have been getting used to my FP2.

This evening, after making some t-nuts to mount a Chinese dro, I was cleaning the mill and oiling various parts and managed to run the 6" vice into the vertical spindle.....!! Total beginners error!!

Now I find that the joystick travels are non functioning.....have I made a serous mistake or is there a shear pin somewhere?

I'm kicking myself for making such a daft mistake.

I would appreciate any advice.

Jim

1. There is a shear pin. It's hard to describe verbally, do you have a manual?

2. Does the table move with the hand wheels? If it's wedged, you may have to get people or a forklift to put pressure in the right way. If your only problem is that the power feeds no longer work while the handwheels do work, then it's likely just the shear pin.

If as Bryan defines it that the feeds are just not working, but the hand wheels are free and move the table as usual...then the feed drive shear pin is likely the culprit.
FP2: open the access door ion the non operators side of the machine...

Inside you will see the coolant pump (lower left) follow the chain that drives the pump up a bit there is a shaft passing through a pocket cast into the main casting.
below the sprocket is a second shaft in the cast in pocket. On the lower shaft is a two piece collar. A pin passes through the inner and outer portions of that collar assembly....That is the shear pin that
carries power from the gear box to the table feeds. Should be a formed spring clip riveted to the outer collar . That clip retains the pin....Pushing the clip opposite the rivet will expose the hole for the
shear pin....
Please note: Shear pins should be made from mild steel only. They should be made only long enough to pass through only one half of the inner and outer sleeves...(as original, single shear)
Also the larger diameter hole is there to make r3emovaql of a broken pin easier...it is not a seat for the head on the pin...pin goes in from the opposite side.....

Cheers Ross

i had a mill where it used brass key in keyway of shaft for a shear pin. it had sign brass key do not replace with steel key.
of course somebody replaces with a steel key and spline on end of shaft broke instead. that mill ended up going to junk yard

All the hands wheels were still working so good to hear the shear pin is most likely to be replied to get it going again.

Thanks for the detailed explanation; I'll have. Look this evening and hopefully that is all it is. I had nightmares of stripped gears etc.....

I'm happy to report that it is indeed the shear pin that did it's job. It is located as per Ross' email above and looks like this.

Head: 4mm diameter
Pin: 2.93mm diameter (clearance fit)

IMG_0019.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg

Back