Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Alberta
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For reference, my control has a EXM-2A "SSD" already, though it really is just battery backed SRAM that serves as it's main HDD. This little card attaches directly onto the EPC-8 and the BIOS is tweaked to be able to work with it from factory as long as the proper BIOS settings are changed. I'm curious if the newer Solid state HDD is much faster than the SRAM unit in my control now? My SRAM HDD now is as fast as RAM from it's time right? I suppose even then the entire system is slower due to the lower bus frequency? My SRAM HDD card has it's own lithium battery independent of the main PC CMOS battery.

My I/O cards which have 80 I/O on each are each plugged into the VME bus. These are separate like the motion control boards.

When the control first boots you can see it load the drivers for both those sets of boards so it is likely feasible they could be made to work with any sort of VME PC that is running the whole unit? There are versions of this exact control that do run off a conventional HDD so the ability to configure this style of VME computer to do so is already in the existing BIOS, getting the Heidenhain control software to actually recognize it is another thing entirely. Last time I starting looking into this I decided time may be better spent getting the machine finished and start running it for a while to determine if the control needs upgrading at all.

It is true the newer controls are much faster but at the end of the day I will take a much more rigid machine that runs a little slower than something fast and flimsy any day. Right now I machine 4140 or harder almost exclusively and the vibration reduction from the rigidity will allow me to run faster and more aggressive than my one already pretty quick VMC I have. Sure the control is fast on that machine and so is it's spindle/rapids/toolchange, but the overall lower rigidity forces me to slow down the feeds and speeds to get good tool life and nice finishes. This big Deckel Maho will allow me to multiaxis drill in ways no other machine I've run could imagine. I've been using Kennametal KSEM drills lately with through spindle coolant and with a rigid setup the combination will be unreal. They really are amazing unless your part starts to deflect from the thrust force because the machine isn't rigid enough.

Then they break, and the KSEM bodies are NOT cheap.

Spindle Taper Upgrade:

I am looking at converting the machine spindle to HSK100 though. Not only does it appear to be possible it doesn't even seem to be very difficult on my specific machine due to the design of the spindle and toolchanger. There exists already a manufacturer that builds a magazine chain for HSK that looks identical to the chain style my machine uses (I wouldn't be surprised if they are the OE supplier to DMG for the chain I have they look so similar). Also, the spindle is two main shafts internally, the spindle is driven from behind with a coupling so changing the taper is only a matter of changing the spindle cartridge to one that was designed to interface with the existing parts. Almost all the third party suppliers to the spindle internals also make HSK100 parts now so it really is a matter of preparing drawings and opening the wallet.

Because the spindle taper change is not physically that invasive as compared to linear way replacement I'm once again going to get the machine fully functional before I consider going that route. I think to save on production costs at one point they stopped making a special housing for the 40 taper version and used the 50 taper housing for both horizontal spindle versions. They simply used a thicker walled cartridge to hold the 40 taper spindle assembly. This is important because I have more than enough room and rigidity to put in the HSK100 cartridge and yet I can keep the 12,000 rpm nature of the spindle intact, which the HSK100 design can handle (the SK50 spindle is designed for 6300 Rpm max, 664 Ft lb peak @ 44% Duty Cycle). I will only have 354 ft lb peak @ 25% but I don't really use much in the way of large diameter tooling much anyway. It is interesting to note that between 500 & 1000 Rpm because the optional 12000 RPM spindle can change the winding orientation from delta to wye it has more torque than the 50 taper does, as well as more torque right to it's max rpm. That is interesting, the 50 taper has a two speed gearbox and quite a bit more mechanical complexity to it too. Must be a much higher end motor on the 12k version. I don't even know the last time I ran a tool lower than 500 rpm? Only my touch probe

I would much rather have the higher RPM limit as well as mechanical simplicity. The spindle taper change can probably be a thread in of itself when the time comes.