What's new
What's new

Dmu 50t

Rolf B.

Aluminum
Hi All,
It has been a while since I posted anything on this forum. I just got myself a new toy for my home shop, so it had to have a certain size to fit. I came up with a DMU 50T, it doesn't use up a lot of space at all. I know there is at least one member on this forum with one of these machines, maybe he can give me a little help with a small problem I am having. The guys at DMG are scratching their heads over this one and I don't know who the previous owner/operator is. I have been told that the original owner never used the manual B and C axis on this machine, so referencing the X, Y and Z axis are no problem, but how do you reference B and C without moving them? Other than that no issues. Looking forward to making a pile of chips.

Rolf B.

Ive got a DMU50v. On the 50v you dont need to move them to reference. Just select ALL AXES and hit reference. The axes will move slightly away from the limit then back into reference. I have a Millplus V400. Depending on the vintage and control I can tell who Ive had the best luck with in service over there.

On my machine the B and C axis are manual. I t is a bit different than on a full 5 axis machine. The original owner never used the 2 manual axis, so they had to bypass the referencing of those 2 axis.

AS B and C are read only in the control, no need to reference for the contol to work.. But if you want to refence them you got to move them manual I assume.

A picture of your machine would be nice. :)

I have been told by DMG that after powering the machine up that I need to reference all axis including B and C. The tool changer won't work if not all the axis are referenced. I understand that the 2 axis in question are read only. What I am looking for is how to tell the control that they are referenced. I don't know if that makes any sense.

Rolf - what year is your machine? What controller?

Anyway - on my DMU 60 the B-axis has an absolute scale, but X,Y,Z,C have relative scales that need to move past a reference mark - that is, be homed - before the machine will be happy. (It will actually pitch a fit and refuse to do any real work until this is done.)

So the thing to try would be to, for example, apply manual rotation to C until some sign from the controller, and then manually wind it back to zero.
I would try a similar tactic with B.

May not be at all obvious which way to go, or or how far....

The machine is 2001 with a Heidenhain 430 control. The spindle has 8000 hrs. on it and was used mainly for aluminum. And as I said at the beginning on my thread, they never used the B and C axis.

This thread is 2 years old - probably best to post a new thread in the CNC forum. Also, which controller, options, etc? (And i have nothing for a DMU50T)

Back