What's new
What's new

How do I get G-code into the machine Mori SL-2H Yasnac LX1

fastmike75

Plastic
It's another newbie! I have spent the last five months cleaning and rebuilding everything on a 1984 Mori Seiki SL-2H CNC Lathe with Yasnac LX1 controls. Had a dead computer battery and years of neglect. Everything works on the machine and is all original! Could not have done it without reading the posts and information on this site. Thanks to everyone!

Okay now that I have this nice solid old machine purring like a kitty, I need to make gear blanks really bad. I have been studying the G-code for months from the Peter Smid CNC programming handbook and have my program written to make my part. I have tried everything and combination of buttons to get the machine to save the code into memory and I can't seem to make it work. I can run lines of code in the MDI mode but can't get it to save. Soon as I switch to edit or mem, it erases my input.

This machine has a paper tape reader to save program to memory. It also has a RS232 port below the tape reader. Is there any way to get software to download to the machine? I don't mind typing the program in if someone can help me save program to the machine so I can run it. I only have a few parts to make.

I have extensive documentation and wiring information on this SL-2H lathe. If anyone needs anything I am happy to share my information. Thanks everyone!

I am not familiar with LX1 but to enter any program by hand you need to be in EDIT mode.
You have to start with program number something like O0001 (enter/write/insert/input) whatever is on your keyboard.
and end it with M30
There should be some examples in your manual.

This machine has a paper tape reader to save program to memory. It also has a RS232 port below the tape reader. Is there any way to get software to download to the machine? I don't mind typing the program in if someone can help me save program to the machine so I can run it. I only have a few parts to make.

The port maybe for a BTR which emulates the tape reader, in which case you need a program like OneCNC DNC software to send the program. There should be plenty out there on the net for information as to the correct wiring for the cable. Is there a BTR in the general vicinty of the tape reader internally?

If I remember using an old Matsuura with a yasnac, I think (been a whole now!) there is actually a separate mode for uploading code, but I could be wrong. :o To transfer from a pc you will need to find the parameters and make sure your baud rate, bits, etc are set the same at pc and machine. I think windows has a tool to do it, but you could probably find a free one online. I use cimco edit, which comes with Mastercam, but there are lots of tools and editors out there, a quick search should find you something.

Thanks for the comments everyone, but I just can't find a way to get code in the machine. I downloaded Editcnc to communicate with the machine, but still can't get it to work right. I made a special cable with terminals as they should be, all of my setting and parameters are perfect. Been over them several times. I know the software is sending something because I have gotten a "P" on the bottom of the screen when I try to transfer. I have tried every combination of button on every mode (Tape, MDI. Memory and Edit) The reset button, the "in" button, the load switch by the tape reader, the key edit switch, the SBK switch, reset button, I even gave it a hug! I am at a total loss. I have a machine ready to go, code written and can't make a damn thing. There has to be some comibation or special button to push one of you old timers did for years I am not doing.
There is no BTR anywhere that I can see, the machine is all stock. It did have a couple of eithernet communications boxes in the computer compartment, one from Shopfloorautomations and a Lantronix USD100. So I know someone was communicating with the machine at one time. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Manually entered or digtally entered. Thanks so much.
Also want to mention it had a RS232 cable that was feed through the back of the computer cabinet and looks like it plugged into the RS232 port below the tape reader. It was plugged in the Shopfloor automations box when I got the machine.

Probably not helpful but.......... I had an old machine in good shape low hours but pain in ass because it had tape reader. Installed a BTR card works great. Card came with software. Set machine to tape mode send program and it drip feeds away. Maybe you need some special software to make your box work if it really is BTR.
Bon

Well I tried three different software programs to download into the machine. I got one of them to work "EditCNC". But I think I really messed the machine up now. I am not sure what it downloaded but there was a bunch of bad characters on the screen and a program number that had nothing to do with my program. It started setting off alarms and would move the turret a little toward the chuck each time I restarted, on its own. So I pulled the computer battery plug to clear out whatever was in memory and reprogrammed the parameters in yesterday. Got all my tool offsets done today. I go to start inputting the Gcode again and there is a bunch of characters on the screen on program O0000. As soon as I turn the dial to edit or memory I am getting alarms. 010 (TH Parity)and 352 (Z overload), and 310. The machine was working fine to get-input tool offsets. Any Ideas would be very helpful. I am not sure I can get to the memory or edit buttons to delete any programs in the system. The machine has not been hooked up to a RS232 computer since battery was pulled.

Thanks to kaszub for the link to the Yasnac manual. Searched and could not find one. It has all of the stuff missing from the operators manual, like G-code syntax for the machine and button sequences. Thank you very much!

For anyone else that may be having problems manually inputting gcode into Mori Seiki Yasnac LX1/2 MX1/2. You use the WR key in MDI mode. I was hitting the WR key after each code or XZ movement sending it up on the screen then hitting insert when done with a line of code up on the screen. Evidentily I was hitting insert and there was nothing on the line below because I hit the WR key and sent it up. I believe you are supposed to keep writing a line of code on the bottom. Do not hit the WR key, keep all of your code on the bottom line. When the line is done then hit the insert key and that is when it is saved into memory and goes up on the screen. If anyone can help verify the proper keyboard sequence for manually inputting code, if this is wrong. Will try it when I can get machine the cleared up.

How to load a program should be in the Yasnac manuals you downloaded from Yakawa's website. For my J50, which is a little newer, while in Program mode press IN and you are ready to receive, press OUT and it sends the selected program. I would expect you can Write one word or a whole line of code, which is the case with both of my Yasnac controls. This stuff is done with the Yasnac side of the control so I don't think the MB would make many changes to how these things are done, other than parameter changes.

While in EDIT mode O-9999 erase should clear any programs in the control that are not protected. Handy but make sure you don't delete any O8000 or O9000 programs.

DavidScott, you where right the O-9999 cleared all of the junk out of the system. The alarms went off and everything is working perfectly. Nice clean system to start with. Thank you.

I was able to get gcode into the machine, it was like my previous post said. You type in the program number hit WR key, that enters the program number into the system you will be working on. It will show up on the screen and replace the O0000 on top. To enter code manually type in your code on the bottom line, N numbers and all, it is kind of confusing because the cursor stays up on the top screen, not in the bottom input line. You enter your code without spaces, end with the EOB key and hit the INSERT key. This puts the gcode up on the screen and in memory all spaced out. Once it is in memory, then you can edit and change your code if you make a mistake. Was able to program in 117 lines of code in about two hours. Pray I didn't make any huge mistakes. I am a newbie and have a nice new Royal collet chuck without a scratch on it. How long will that last with a dangerous redneck at the controls?

Thanks for everyone's help! Very helpful forum!

Back