What's new
What's new

How to remove chuck from Mori Seiki SL-4A lathe?

ichudov

Hot Rolled
I have a Mori Seiki SL-4A lathe with a HA8-11iii chuck. Any idea how to remove it, how is it mounted? Removing just six front bolts does not help . Thanks

I don't know your particular lathe, but I'm pretty sure all those hydraulic chucks are basically the same. The chuck on my lathe usually takes a little persuasion with a dead blow to get it knocked off the mounting plate. It's advised to leave a couple of the bolts in so the chuck doesn't do a face plant onto the conveyor.

Josh

Sent from my XT1093 using Tapatalk

Assuming your SL-4 uses a threaded drawtube like my SL-2B:

1. remove big bolts
2. smack the chuck "rotationally" with a dead blow to break the A-mount taper free
3. move the chuck out far enough to clear the locating pin on the spindle face (~1/4")
4. while holding the chuck from falling (I made a spigot from acetal that goes into the drawtube and catches the chuck when it comes free), turn the chuck and/or drawtube to unthread the drawtube from the chuck

Regards.

Mike

With the center threaded piece loosened a couple of threads and the pressure around 50psi I just step on the foot pedal and let the draw tube pop it off. Then finish unthreading it till its free. Doubt you'll find this mentioned in a service manual but I've done it many times.

Brent

Back