What's new
What's new

Mori Seiki SL2 Ethernet

Marik

Plastic
Hey Folks,

I have SL2 with a cable looking like RS232 (sorry, the thread says Ethernet, but could not edit the title) one, but the end is cut off. It goes to a controller (picture attached). Could somebody confirm if that's an RS232 and also, how it is possible to figure connector pin out.

Thanks, M

mori Ethernet.jpg

What control? Age of machine, That could be a BTR board (behind The Tape Reader)

Depending on the vintage, Some people added these not even knowing that they did not even need them,
Back then there were some odd pin outs (Flipped) depending if on Fanuc or Yasnak

More info please

Thank you for your reply! The control is Yasnac 2000G from 1980. So far we confirmed the "Controls West" is a BTR, but there is no any info on Google. Its output is db9 and there are 4 wires coming--pins 1,2,3, and 8. So far we were able to receive the data from the machine (though Gibbs) from pin2 to input pin2. However, we cannot transmit the data to the machine. From what I read it is enough to have only two connections (pins 2 and 3). I connected every output wire off BTR (except pin2) to input pin3 and nothing seemed to work...

Would appreciate any suggestion.

Best, M

You really need one of these to be absolutely sure you have the connections correct
232.jpg

Second, From recollection, You send the program to the board First(Mine had an on board buffer)

Im looking at the manual, You need to set parameter 82 to "1"

OR it says Par 80, "1" the control will detect either EIA or ISO, I would just set 82 to 1

First send prog to BTR board, before hitting tape in

Then hit Tape in, and the program transfers from BTR to machine. I say I have to recall
because I sold the last Mori yaers ago with that type of control

Now this is where things get tricky, And I am going from distant memory

I think I see 3 LED lamps in a row there on that board, First, Send your Program
to the board, and one should light, Eiher error, Or Buf/Buffer

If the buffer lamp on the board is lit, THEN go around to the control pendant
and in edit mode, hit the Tape read/punch button. It may take some fiddling
But im pretty sure that is the procedure to get program from computer to machine

This board you have pictured, It does not seem like the exact one I had in the past
it may be just an earlier version.

So, first try the RS 232 tester, They are like 10 bucks at Radio Shack or they are everywhere
on the internet cheap

Then try the procedure I just described, You may just be hitting the tape in too soon.
And the program then resides in the COM board waiting for you to hit tape in again

For punch, I seem to recall just setting the parameter to 80 or 82 on the display, and the program
should run out back when you hit tape in/out

Wayne

Thanks!

We got the machine to recieve a whole program with the sequence you described. So we shot it back out to try it again and only got half. Dumped it tried it again....got scattered blocks. What might be a problem?

Thanks, M

Back