What's new
What's new

Mori Seiki SL-2 SL-3 with 12 station hydraulic controlled turret, fix

fastmike75

Plastic
Have spent the last several months rebuilding a 1984 Mori Seiki SL-2H lathe, Yasnac LX1. I knew nothing about CNC machines, what was I thinking! Anyway It has a 12 station turret that just gave me fits trying to get it going right. I would like to share some of my information that it might help others. It turns out it had a bad parameter, a bad hydraulic valve and a bad proximity switch. The way the system works, a hydraulic valve opens and lets the fluid go back into the tank and lets the pressure through so the turret motor turn can turn and lift. That way the valve can control the deceleration of the turret. It is quite a complicated system with proximity switches and Omron relay switches controlling everything. It ain't like a Hydraulic wood spliter, that's for sure! Attached is a wiring layout with the switches and valves that I made to help see how it works. When ya know how it works, then you can fix it.
Mori Seiki 12 Sta Hydraulics.jpg
A helpful tip to check your proximity switches is to go into Diagnastic mode, as you move the turret, you can see the switches going on and off as the turret rotates. It is Diagnostic code #1013 on my machine bits 1-7 (LS8-13) are the 6 proximity switches and bit number 8 is the turret clamp confirmation switch (LS14). If one of the switches is not showing a 1 every now and them on the DGN screen you know you have a bad switch.
New switches are different, they have only two wires instead of three, it is pretty easy to figure out how to wire them in and comes with a wiring diagram.
What was giving me the most trouble was a parameter that wasn't real clear. I couldn't get the turret to seat. It would spin and stop but wouldn't complete it's cycle. After filming the valves work I saw that the one valve that lets the fluid into the tank was closing too soon. It turned out to be Parameter 7061 was not set right. Parameter #7061 "Time elaspsing before turret clamp command after just turret positioning" was set at 10 and it wasn't long enough time. I set the parameter to 40 and it works great. I think you could cut it down below 40 to save tool change time. Hope this saves somebody about a week someday! I took some pictures and have some parts sheets on the turret I can post if anyone needs them. Thanks to everyone for such a informative forum!

Back