What's new
What's new

Mori SL25 M extra Mcodes. They are there but......

JasonE

Plastic
Need to add a couple gadgets to this lathe and was looking for some extra Mcodes. they are listed in the book and are terminated in the control cab. When commanding these Mcodes, they work but when running in a program, the control will hang up on them indefinitely, like they are waiting for something.

The codes are M60-64. There is ZERO in the book about them, how you might turn them off, etc, etc. I just want them to toggle on, and roll on, but I would prefer another code to turn them off too.

Anyone have any experience? This is a Fanuc OT control.

All M codes require a "finish" signal back to the the control. For example, if you issue and M code for the chuck to open, the control issues the command and then waits for a signal from the proximity switch telling it that the chuck has in fact opened. Other finish signals are virtual, like a timer delay programmed in the ladder.

On most machines, all of the M codes share the same "finish" signal input. This is the reason that you can only command one M code per line.

You have to find the M finish input and provide the feedback to the control. It may require timers and relays to do that.

Thanks. I found the Mfin termination, but nothing attached to it. Most others use a dedicated "fin" signal. I think in the past on other machines, when we have used a spare M code, there was an on/off, but I can make this work too.

What is confusing is because Mfin is not terminated to anything, even in the schematic, I cannot be sure what signal it is looking for. I do NOT want to simply jumper over 24VDC from the 24NC terminal to Mfin if that can damage it. I was going to put a series resistor on it just for current protection as I have no idea what it needs.

Are there settings in the parameters to change how these terminals respond and such? Or does this go back to the ladder?

It depends how the control board is made. Most machines just use +24 for that signal. Others pull to ground.

Can you post page from the schematic?

I just looked at my SL-20. It seems to want +24V. But, it's a Yasnac control.

Well the control side shows to be at ground potential so I suspected 0NC was not going to do much. I used an 82ohm series resistor just to protect the circuit. It worked and showed 7mA current with that resistor. I did not test without it.

Well, I guess my goal would be to not blow up anything! LOL

On that subject, would you have any idea how to determine how much current the control will handle, ideally? I know the control pulls each Mcode to ground, but I still cannot find anything in the books that gives me that spec. Obviously I would not try to pull several amps, but it would be nice if I can fire a relay directly with it rather than switching solid states, then back up to a relay coil. Looking at the wire, I am sort of thinking we should go beyond 50mA and consider a reed relay about it. ?

Back