What's new
What's new

Mori Seiki YASNAC 2000G Optional G-Codes

Lohmeyer

Aluminum
Is there a way to verify what G-code options my Mori Seiki lathe has? I'm talking about the "Optional" G-codes (G70-G76 canned cycles, G11/G12, G40-G44, etc.) vs. the "Basic" G-codes as called out in the manual. Yes, obviously, I can try the G-codes, and I have confirmed the G70-G76 canned cycles don't work.

It is a Mori Seiki SL-2 with YASNAC 2000G (the one with 2 rows of LED readout, not the CRT). The manual says that several of the g-codes are optional (G70-G76 canned cycles, G40-G44 tool nose radius comp, and a few others like G11/G12), but no document I have confirms what my machine has. The machine was made in 1979.

I'm asking because I would like to upgrade my machine and I assume that means new ROMs, or just buying a used CPU board that has the proper ROMs. But if I can't verify that the used board has these options before I buy it, it doesn't help me. Also, hopefully the CPU board or ROMs is all I need, vs. having to upgrade several controller boards.

Thanks,
Michael

I'd start calling them in MDI if you get an alarm (PS00010 IMPROPER G CODE) or something to that affect then chances are good you don't have the option. Yes I remember G41 G42 G43 G44 for TNRC depending on witch way it was traveling and what tip.

I believe if I dig deep enough I can find some of my old Yasnac programs from back in the day.

I'd let this soak here a while but you don't get much feedback start this thread again on the CNC board.

Brent

Yardbird, thanks. I've tried several of the G-codes in MDI as well as in programs. Some of the optional G-codes are not allowed in MDI mode, so I have to test them in a program.

Looking for an error light hasn't always been helpful. For example, a G-code that is clearly not allowed (e.g. G85) gives an "input error" light. But a g-code that is optional but not working, like G74 peck drill, does not give an error light, but doesn't work either. Either I'm an idiot for not being able to figure out a simple peck cycle, or my machine does not support G74. I'll take the question to the CNC forum eventually - thanks for the suggestion.

For my question here, I'm asking if anyone knows a way to tell if the optional codes are installed by looking at the circuit board, ROMs, or a placard on the machine. I assume the option is installed using a different set of ROM chips. So a sticker on the ROMs should explain what is and isn't installed. If I buy a replacement board off eBay, I'd like to know what to look for to make sure I get all the optional stuff installed.

BTW, I have considered other possibilities like maybe some codes don't work in BTR mode (using the tape interface to drip feed from a PC), but might work if I load the program into memory. Or maybe my drip feed program is messing up the program as it converts it for download.

My additional functions book says that the additional functions are part of the 2000GII which is an improved version of the 2000G. The book is dated 1981. My control cabinet is labeled 2000GII (1981).

My Mori Seiki instruction manual includes a list of the available G and M codes in the specification section. The additional functions are included in the list.

I would not expect your machine to have the additional functions.

Bill

Back