What's new
What's new

MV-35/40 and Phase Converters

pri0ritize

Aluminum
Hello again.

I finally got my MV-35 moved and set in place. It was quite the adventure. I'm to the point of hooking power to the machine and I want to ensure that I don't damage it in doing so. Reading the manual it states that power should be 200V/220V with a variance of 10%. This can get me as high as 242 and as low as 198 if I'm using 220V (as long as my math hasn't failed me), I've read in other forum posts that other Mori machines need to be within 2-4% of each other on each leg and I want to ensure that this isn't the case. Have any of you run an MV-35 on a phase converter that has a wild leg?

I continued to do research and read all the manuals I own and it appears that running the machine on my phase converter should be fine. I can't find a specification in the manuals that calls out a specific percentage rating between phase voltages but my phase converter is supplying phase voltages within 1% of each other with no load. I'll take some measurements after the machine is running and determine if the voltages have fluctuated much.

I've read that getting the phase rotation correct for this machine is important but I can't determine which phase rotation is the 'correct' rotation for this machine. On one side of the machine, above the main breaker shutoff there are a couple buttons labeled MGFOR and MGREV with arrows in CW and CCW directions but I can find no documentation on those buttons in the manual. I'm assuming the buttons stand for motor generator forward and reverse. If anyone has any information about the correct phase rotation for this machine I'd greatly appreciate it.

So, I've got the machine powered up and the controller functioning. Thankfully there was nothing exciting that happened when I turned the machine on. I haven't gotten any axis to move yet as I don't have my air compressor hooked up, I've been in the process of getting the compressor wired up and I'm ready to plumb the machine in, but I've been trying to find a specification of what pressure is required, and what the max pressure the machine can handle is, I've read the manual in search of a specification but have struck out so far. Does anyone have an idea of what those values might be?

Probably 6 bar. That seems to be the magic number for the 14 or so different CNC's I have run in my career. Someone may be able to correct me if I am wrong.

Back