What's new
What's new

SH503 - Need ref zero locations for resetting APC ZRN on all axis

llf264

Cast Iron
Hi guys, after getting two 2000 SH503 's set on the production floor we fired them up and replaced the batteries. They have the MSG panel on them and I am getting "PC Alarm EX1257 PowerMate" and "NC alarms 300: APC Need ZRN for [insert each axis name here: x,y,z,B]". Also in the cabinet, our Power Mate pendant shows alarm 310 316. Anyone have a manual .pdf for this machine or a commissioning sequence? I think I need to know the ref distances for each axis and where to measure from as well as any sequences for OT releases if required.

Even just a list of alarm codes for the 2000 year fanuc/msg machine would be a helping start.

P CAN took me to a wacky set of options so I restarted to the native Mori Seiki screen and I don't know which order I have to clear the alarms or how to release the freehold other than hold the freehold button while switching the panel edit button back and forth until the freehold led blinks continuously. Is that the right thing then I have to do something else to allow the handwheel to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You need to call Mori. They can get you going over the phone if you have a brain.

The batteries in your absolute encoders died. They only stay charged for a month or so. You need to turn on parameter write enable (PWE). Then find the APZ parameter for every axis and set them to 0 (should be parameter 1815). Power down. Power up. Set them back to 1. Power down. Power up. You should now be able to jog. Then you can move them to the correct location and repeat that sequence. You might have to change the stroke limit temporarily (should be parameter 1300 or 1320).

Some Mori machines require you to go to the "custom" screen and turn on a zero setting option. Again, Mori can help you with this.

I don't know about the PowerMate, or even what that is.

I can access the CUSTOM screen so will try that.

What is the phone number that you use when calling in? Is there a name of anyone that you could refer me to?

Thanks so much.

The Power Mate is a pendant device that plugs into a port on the Fanuc CPU that is (apparently) able to access directly to the main parameters and statuses of the FANUC system and is a very low level device that bypasses the Mori Seiki overlay/interface. I am still learning what all it does and can do.

I have yet to discover what the EX1257 PowerMate PC alarm means. I am hoping that it clears once I am able to reset the servo ZRN on all axis including the tool magazine.

I was able to change the 5th bit (counting from zero base on right) from 1 to 0, for each axis entry. then turned the control off then back on, then restored them to 0 again.

Nothing appears to have changed. All the same errors pop up.

Looking back on it, should I have powered down the entire system, or does a control off and on routine accomplish everything needed?

As it is, the 300 alarm still exists for each axis, as does the EX1257 Power-Mate alarm on the PC screen as well as the 310 and 316 alarms on the PowerMate pendant when connected directly for the Fanuc CPU.

You were right! DMG-Mori phone call yielded excellent results. I am liking these machines and this company in general quite well.

Technical staff is quite eager and knowledgable even after hours on 16 year old equipment. Thank you for the reccomendation.

Apparently there is a battery from Fanuc for the Power-Mate system.

So there are actually two different batteries on the Power Mate module in the cabinet with this machine. One 3v battery is for the memory I guess... And the other is a 6v battery pack for the absolute encoders memory. Replacing that double battery cleared the 316 alarm on the Power Mate Pendant E, but the 310 alarm on the pendant still exists along with the 300 alarms for each axis on the control screen as well as the EX1257 alarm on the PC Alarm screen. This is to be expected until I follow the zero return procedures. DMG/Mori was kind enough to send me those procedures but they will be closed until Monday when I can follow up again with them.

Unfortunately though, their procedure requires me to select a setting which I do no have as an option on my screen, even after setting my "write" parameters to enable. My Settings>Custom>...> screen has the Machine Lock On/Off option but not the "Zero Point Adjustment: Valid/Invalid" option on that screen.

Not sure if anyone has any pointers for me until Mon. I am headed back to the shop after dinner to scratch my head some more. That is the good news. The bad news is that the other, identical machine, which is now set right next to it, will not boot up past the DOS screen after the MSG splash screen shows to be booting on Tiny/OS. That machine is dead in the water until I get that one called into Mori on Monday. When I checked the cabinet, the master Fanuc "box" had it's dip rotary dial set to "1", not "0", so I tried 0 and same thing happened. Anyone have any suggestions before Monday?

DMG/Mori is very helpful over the phone but no-one knows yet why the zero return = Valid/Invalid option under the customize screen does not show up. DMG/Mori suggested that I call Fanuc to see why the pendant won't allow me to edit parameter 1815 bit 4 to "1" but Fanuc just refered me to Mori unless I signed up for a warrantee program with them. I may do that, but prefer to figure it out if I can as I recieved my pallet of manuals this week.

Everyone's prevailing theory at this point is that the EX1257 Power Mate alarm is keeping the Mori MSG-502 overlay of the Fanuc 16iM-A system from getting far enough to display that option.

The Fanuc Power Mate module is a self-contained Drive/controller that controls an additional axis in coordination with the main Fanuc control. (I think that is how it works anyway... Please correct me if I am wrong about this). It acts in coordination but, but as a slave to be main Fanuc system however, it boots first. This particular Power Mate module controls the Fsnuc servo motor and sub systems for the tool magazine. So until I get that system sorted out, I won't be able to clear the EX1257 alarm to then be able to address the zero return procedure for the other axis.

Here is my big problem that has to be solved: I am unable to edit parameter 1815 bit 4 to a "1" via the pendant which is plugged into the Power Mate E module so it continues to read 00000000 when it should read 00010000. I have tried "write" and "input" and "alter" on the pendsnt for the parameter but it simply will not allow that change to take effect. I have my PWE bit set to "1" as proven by the Alarm 100 which is present so my parameters should be able to be edited. Can anyone think what I am doing wrong to not allow the Power Mate Pendant to make that change?

I can't tell you why. All I can tell you is that you are on the right track. On a newer Mori, you can't set 1815 to 1 unless you turn on the "zero set" in the custom screen if the servos have lost power or the battery has died. If you want to reset the zero point and the servos have not lost power, you can set 1815 to 1 without using the option in the custom screen.

Only Mori does it this way as far as I know.

Until you get the "zero set" option is the custom screen you cannot go further.

That is not a good sign then, why Mori does not know why that option is not appearing on the screen next to the machine lock and auxiliary F lock options.

At least the "@" and the "&" symbol mystery preceding numbers has been solved. "@" precedes parameters on the model E Power Mate, and the "&" symbol precedes parameters on the F model Power Mate when reading from the Power Mate pendant.

I will open a separate thread on the SH503 not showing Zero Return Valid/Not Valid option on the screen. This seems to be the root of my problem currently as the magazine zero return procedure all works except for the final "execute" step as far as I can tell.

I think the reason you can't find the "zero set valid/invalid" is because it was never there to start with.
We have 2 SV503's with 18i and it is definitely not on any screen I have ever seen on the machine, and believe me I've looked. I use it frequently on our NV5000's.

Just a thought, perhaps you may need to cycle main power and not only control power to get the parameter change to take effect.

This is the case with many parameters on the Mori's I maintain, another reason this may be the case, is the powermate boots first as you said.

Just my 2 cents

-Luke

Additionally, on our Mori's the "zero set valid/invalid" is always there on the operation panel screen.
However, it will only let you change it to "valid" if 1815 bit 4 of any given axis is set to "0"

-Luke

The community to the rescue! The control reboot versus the machine power off power on sequence and what is the key!

The magazine return sequence is complete and after one more reboot all errors are cleared except for my individual axis return needs.

Sometimes you get by with a little help from your friends.

It turns out I am able to edit the parameters without that special valid and invalid selection on the screen for zero return.

As soon as I edit 1815.4 to 0 then power off/power on the alarm goes away.

Can anyone tell me what parameter 1815.4 means? I mean to ask, what machine state does the ladder logic interpret by a zero and what does it interpret a one to mean? I want to always strive for understanding why I am doing what I am doing.

At the end of the day, when aligned and set properly to their natural zero locations should those numbers need to be ones?

To summarize what I have learned so far:
-The "Zero Point Set" option for "valid/invalid" is not displayed on my screen it is not required to be able to change any of the 1815 or 1850 parameter bits. This option is also not shown on some other people's screens with controls of similar vintage to mine so I don't feel it has any bearing on the subject currently.
-Control off/on vs. machine off/on cycling is a differentiating factor that determines ig a parameter bit change "sticks". And the only thing required to allow a change to any parameter so far is the PWE write enable parameter being = 1.
-This throws alarm 100, but this is informational only as far as I can tell and the error light on the control panel does not illuminate which indicates to me that it should not affect the physical movement of an axis.
-I have seen several posts about various bits within the 1815 parameter and most discuss toggling between 0 and 1 to allow jogging and resetting of any axis.
-No combination of APC and APZ bit combinations I have tried so far allows me to physically jog/move/feed/zerortn any axis.
-This is my current (and the original settings when initially powered up) 1815 parameter chart:
1815...........APC.APZ..............OPT...
X.....0.....0.....1.....0.....0.....0.....0.....0
Y.....0.....0.....1.....0.....0.....0.....0.....0
Z.....0.....0.....1.....0.....0.....0.....0.....0
B.....0.....0.....1.....0.....0.....0.....0.....0
-So long as there is a 1 in any of the APC bits (1815.6? or is it correct to call that bit 1815.5 because the smallest bit on the right is the "0" bit) then that axis will show the "300 alarm APC Need ZRN". Which makes sense that the error message corresponds to the bit under the APC column.
-There cannot be a 1 in both the APC and the APZ column at the same time as far as I can tell.
-Even though I change the bit under the APC column to 0, and I then have no alarms anywhere on the machine (either before or after a total machine off/on cycle), I still cannot get any axis to physically move via the handwheel, or jog, or Zrtn buttons on the panel.
-Is there a "normal" zero ref procedure during daily machine startup that I should be following? Something simple that is part of a regular routine that I am not following? There are three LED's on the panel for X Y Z ZeroRef that look like something that I should see on a normal FANUC control?
-My axis don't look particularly to be in a bad position. I have made sure to turn the X ballscrew by hand to move it off of it's tool change position and off any limit switch and I still cannot find anything that allows me to move the X axis.
-I've tried holding in the yellow "2nd OT Release" button while trying these moves, and I have also tried placing the machine into "Field adjustment mode" (by holding in the red Feed Hold button while cycling the panel edit button until the Feed Hold LED blinks continuously), as well as have tried holding the yellow button on the side of the handwheel pendant with and without holding the "2nd OT Release" butting simultaneously with the yellow button on the pendant and I just cannot figure out how to move a physical axis.
-Could there be a condition where there is no alarm shown, but an axis will not move because a pump or something is not running?

Can anyone list, or send me a "normal" routine axis zero or jogging procedure at machine startup?

APC = 1815.5 Absolute Pulse Coder
APZ = 1815.4 Zero set when your slide positions are at the locations of document above

Your machine will be happy when the APC and APZ have 1's in both. You might need the door closed to jog the slides or the interlock bypass switch on.

After setting the new home positions check the ATC out in the special mode where you can single step thru a tool change. Do this with no tool in the spindle or magazine pot and you might even remove the keys in the spindle in case the spindle orient position has also been lost. Parameter 4077 is where you adjust the spindle orient position if it is off. You should be able to measure the groove in the tool change arm when it is at the spindle. Check that measurement against the groove position with a tool clamped up in the spindle. That should get you close to verify that the slides are at the correct home positions.

The tool change positions of the slides will be in parameter 1241 (2nd ref) and home positions will be 1250.

You can call me if you need more clarification on what I posted here.

Daryl

Thanks Daryl. I have previously reset the ATC zero position which gives me hope that I'll be able to figure out the next set of axis that funnel through the MSG-502 control.

Now I am on to the X/Y/Z/B axis.
I have the door closed and the door interlock LED off and confirmed that the lock circuit has been satisfied yet I am unable to get the X/Y/Z/B axis to move.

The info on the 1815.5 (APC) and 1815.4 (APZ) bits matches the pattern on the ATC PowerMate zero setting procedure and is much appreciated as that connects the dots for me. 1815.5 says in essence "Absolute Pulse Coder present" when set to 1. and then 1815.4 says "This is home!!"

Now... the puzzle to solve is [how to get the axis to move physically so that I am able to set the proper zero location]. So far, I cannot get the axis to move.

You could try searching the ladder logic and see what condition is preventing you from jogging the axis. The password is "L" input to view the ladder. If you are not familiar or comfortable with searching the ladder you can make sure the obvious conditions are met, like the tool is clamped in spindle, the atc shutter door is closed, atc is at home, magazinge door is closed, the main door switch is working/closed etc. I sent you my number in a pm. Daryl

Back