What's new
What's new

Vintage Mori TL-1 turret won't index problem Help Requested !

JTech

Plastic
I have a 1983 Mori Seiki TL-1 (2 turrets ) ( Fanuc 6T) that one of the turrets won't rotate/index. I had a tool that was too long and when I was indexing the turret, it hit the way cover and jammed the turret. I was able to remove the tool but now the turret won't rotate. The turret motor is a 3phase induction motor which has a pair of bevel gears which turns a worm shaft which turns a ring gear that is coupled to a Geneva mechanism. I removed an access plug/cap (oil ran out) and can access the motor bevel gears. I can spin the gears and motor with my finger which indexes the turret when it is unclamped. I can clamp and unclamp the turret with the control. It takes about 20 revolutions of the motor to index to the next tool (8 tools on the turret). 10 revolutions move the turret to the next tool and 10 revolutions moving the Geneva mechanism until the turret starts moving again. The motor does not seem to be getting power. My question is: is there a sensor or switch on the Geneva mechanism that must be “made”/closed before the control will allow power to the motor? It seems there must be so the motor knows when to start and stop. Would there be any fuse or breaker in the power circuit for the motor. I would think that if I can rotate the motor with my finger and get the Geneva mechanism to the right spot where the sensor/switch is closed, then it may work when commanded. Just eyeballing it, the turret seems to be aligned with the spindle when indexed but I have not checked with an indicator yet.

Back