What's new
What's new

4 axis WEDM RFQ

swamp dweller

Cast Iron
I have a mold job that could use a 4 axis WEDM. We've had similar jobs done in the past that didn't have 4 axis and had to make 2 setups and the matching surfaces didn't quite match as well as we would have liked. The thru holes required are for a lifter that moves at 8 degrees and also has a 90 degree shut off surface.
I found a place on line but wanted to support PM members if possible.
If interested, PM me for a .STP file of the block.
Thanks

Marcus,
Thank you for your response.
I'm not that familiar with WEDM other what the results can be. The 4 axis reference came from a company I RFQ'd and questioned if they would need to do 2 setups to accomplish the shape in the hole and they replied their machines had 4 axis capability and could do the job in one setup. The similar job I had WEDM'd a few years ago appeared to have been done with the block flat for the straight walls and then tilted at 8 degrees and cut again for the angular part. There was a definite step where the 2 surfaces met as if it were done using a sinker and setup twice and the two burns didn't quite match up.
I'll try to attach the drawing of the slot shape for clarification.lifter slot 1.JPGlifter slot 2.JPG

Hi swampdweller:
Guide slots for lifters like that are a pretty routine job for any wire EDM shop that knows what they're doing.
Likely the shop that did it before, did not know how to program "complex upper and lower" which is the proper strategy for cutting features like these without tilting the whole mold base up on a sine plate.
The details of this strategy are unimportant and vary from machine to machine but there are a gazillion shops who can do this in one simple setup, and there should be lots in Florida so you don't have to ship the mold all over the USA to find one who can.
No super exotic machine is required..your RFQ can go to any of the EDM shops in the local phone book.
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix • Design & Innovation > HOME
www.vancouverwireedm.com

Swamp Dweller,

Marcus is of course, correct. I considered responding to you in effort to assist another PM member but to be perfectly honest we are so buried right now that it would likely be weeks before I could sneak you in. And, since my intention was to assist you and not to piss you off, I refrained.

Hi Zahnrad Kopf,
I appreciate your response and am very happy to see people in our industry busy. I know this is a small job and I have other quotes,I was just thinking to give a forum member who isn't really busy a chance to quote.
I'm not pissed,just surprised I guess.
Thanks again,
Tim

Hi Zahnrad Kopf,
I appreciate your response and am very happy to see people in our industry busy. I know this is a small job and I have other quotes,I was just thinking to give a forum member who isn't really busy a chance to quote.
I'm not pissed,just surprised I guess.
Thanks again,
Tim

I'll take a look at it, I'll send you a pm.

Back