What's new
What's new

~$50k wedm choices.

dsergison

Diamond
so, my Robofil 290 may have died.. jury still out still trying to fix.. but a new pc from GF is $10.5K even if i fix it now.. who knows what the future holds for it.

I called edm technologies about replacement options like a new Chmer etc..

I don't think I need a brand new ~$100k chmer ea322 machine but I am considering a 2007 cw322

what else might I consider in the 50k range...
I don't cut much or often, or need any advanced features that I know of... but I need an wedm to support my business of making microscope equipment which usually involves small flexures or dovetails or whatever. And some sample prep (fine wire)

I do want at least relatively fine wire (.006"/0.15mm)capability. I honestly have never used the U-V axis on microscope work. Floor space is absolutely critical. absolutely has to be less than a 6' cube. I want Submerged. Auto threading certainly nice. And I want good support!

My robofil290 was working for me... so it's hard to imagine what I would want better except to use finer wire or at least capability to use much lower power settings on very tiny parts to have less HAZ. the radius is not a factor.

Thanks,
Dan

I don't think I need a brand new ~$100k chmer ea322 machine but I am considering a 2007 cw322

what else might I consider in the 50k range...
I don't cut much or often, or need any advanced features that I know of... but I need an wedm to support my business of making microscope equipment which usually involves small flexures or dovetails or whatever. And some sample prep (fine wire)

I do want at least relatively fine wire (.006"/0.15mm)capability. I honestly have never used the U-V axis on microscope work. Floor space is absolutely critical. absolutely has to be less than a 6' cube. I want Submerged. Auto threading certainly nice. And I want good support!

My robofil290 was working for me... so it's hard to imagine what I would want better except to use finer wire or at least capability to use much lower power settings on very tiny parts to have less HAZ. the radius is not a factor.

Dan,

Sounds to me like a Mitsubishi FX10 or FX20 would fit your bill perfectly. Probably find one in nice shape for ~ 30K I should think. Even a 110SZ would fit you and come in ~ 20K. My service tech has a few for sale. If you want I can give you his details and you can pick his brain. He's a stand up guy that won't try and sell you. He is one of those "If you want it, you'll buy it. If you don't, you won't." kind of guys. But he's always treated me VERY fairly. I believe he's in your neck of the woods, too...

Dan,

Sounds to me like a Mitsubishi FX10 or FX20 would fit your bill perfectly. Probably find one in nice shape for ~ 30K I should think. Even a 110SZ would fit you and come in ~ 20K. My service tech has a few for sale. If you want I can give you his details and you can pick his brain. He's a stand up guy that won't try and sell you. He is one of those "If you want it, you'll buy it. If you don't, you won't." kind of guys. But he's always treated me VERY fairly. I believe he's in your neck of the woods, too...

well, it appears they can be moved on two pieces.... but it really is much much larger than I want. (a fx10 seems to be 91wide x 92 my robofile is 70 wide x 62 deep. my door is 70" wide.)

well, it appears they can be moved on two pieces.... but it really is much much larger than I want. (a fx10 seems to be 91wide x 92 my robofile is 70 wide x 62 deep. my door is 70" wide.)

No, no... That's overall. I'm positive the machine will fit through your door. The control is seperate, too, so can be moved around/positioned where you like it. I'll give you some examples tomorrow.

FX20 machine measures 57" x 82" foot print. FX10 is obviously smaller... Some floor space of other componenst can be mitigated with creative use, like elevating the chiller. ( common )

I'd like some info then... I want good parts support. I would like a dimensioned installation drawing but I did not find that online. Put me in contact with your guy please.

I'd like some info then... I want good parts support. I would like a dimensioned installation drawing but I did not find that online. Put me in contact with your guy please.

Dan, do you still have my email addy? Shoot me an e* and I'll give you all his info while also shooting him a heads up that you'll be contacting him. If not, email me through the site. I steered SteveEX30 to him for some support. You might ask him how he fared and what his impressions were.

And for the usual disclaimer - I get no recompense nor consideration of any sort for doing this. I simply like helping out others in the business and also like seeing him get more customers and contacts because he has been so helpful to me over the last few years. There have been SEVERAL times that he could have charged me something or even taken advantage of a situation to make a dollar and he never has. So for me it's a win-win.

I would like to add my two cents here. You can get guides for the Charmilles at .004" (and corresponding .tec files). The 290 I ran was a pretty solid machine, no problems with tolerances, and the place I worked was pretty lax in the PM department. What exactly broke on it? Can you have it repaired instead of replaced? I know to have Charmilles come out and do a service, which included a new lower head, new generator parameters, new ground cables and so on, PLUS the techs lodging and expense for a week ran us around 11-12k*. This was on a 310, 1995? model.

* ca2010 dollars ;)

I would like to add my two cents here. You can get guides for the Charmilles at .004" (and corresponding .tec files). The 290 I ran was a pretty solid machine, no problems with tolerances, and the place I worked was pretty lax in the PM department. What exactly broke on it? Can you have it repaired instead of replaced? I know to have Charmilles come out and do a service, which included a new lower head, new generator parameters, new ground cables and so on, PLUS the techs lodging and expense for a week ran us around 11-12k*. This was on a 310, 1995? model.

* ca2010 dollars ;)

The pc hard drive apparently died. I have been trying very hard to replace the hard drive and the phone support has been fantastic but it just is not working according to the plan support has provided me, nor anything else I have tried. I have been quoted $11.5k for a new pc plus 2500 the first day of installation and 1k each additional.

I would also like a submerged machine.

Back