What's new
What's new

Agie EMT-1 control unit failure

Rich L

Hot Rolled
Hi folks,

I have an old Agie EMT-1 that was built in 1981 that has been operating just fine until recently when the control unit failed. The control unit is a removable electronics box called a Memo 212 built by RSF Electronik back in those days. My diagnostics tests have determined that it is the Z input channel in the box that is the problem and not the scale output. To wit, I swapped the inputs (Y and Z) and the same channel failed. What happens when Z is jogged the display just flickers between +0.00012 and -0.00012 (inches) of whatever position happens to be displayed and cannot get beyond that. I can zero the display and if I run a block that commands a depth greater than (negative direction) the -0.00012, the ram just continues to move negative because the unit does not know where the ram is.

Basically this unit is a DRO with programmable limits on Z only. It’s old TTL logic.

So there’s the diagnosis. The question is does anyone know where, who or what can fix this unit. I have contacted two outfits so far: controlrepair.com and they say they can fix it but at a fixed cost of a touch over $2K, and Rockwell whose web site says they can repair anything but upon inquiry they back off that claim because they’ve never heard of it. Anyone got a spare on on their shelf? There is a gentleman in Philly that can probably help but I’m doing my best to scour the field.

RSF Electronik seems to be still in business but that’s an overseas proposition. I will be contacting them, however.

I know I can still use the machine in a “manual” mode but I have to watch it - it won’t automatically retract when reaching depth.

Any help will be greatly appreciated and rewarded, at least, with beer. Well, useful help. :)

Cheers,
Rich

Considering the Vintage of the machine, I would consider yourself lucky you found someone able to repair it.

Back