What's new
What's new

Agie Vertex help-Themetaldoctors sons

RITCHY

Aluminum
Hello I'm one of Themetaldoctors sons, I haven't been active here on the forum much so I'm not sure if everyone is aware that he is no longer with us. He was killed by a drunk driver right outside our shop 10/23/11.
We are striving to keep the shop open, dad was the mastermind and knew every aspect of the business and my brother and I worked at the machines making parts. We are learning a lot about quoting, programming, and some of the machines that only dad knew about.
Right now our goal is to run fine wire, we were able to run .002inch-.05mm wire yesterday cutting thru 1/4 stainless. Trying to find technologies for the .00078inch-.02mm wire is our next goal. I was able to find the Agie database tech files but don't understand what the specific coding means. I was told by the applications guy at Agie that the first group was material, the second was part thickness, and the third wire size. If anyone can shed some light on deciphering these tech codes it would help us a lot.

I will include some photos of a micro part that we were proud to achieve. One photo is the part on a penny for a scale reference.

Attachments

• photo-4.jpg
    photo-4.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 310
  • photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 278
  • photo-6.jpg
    photo-6.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 348
  • photo-8.jpg
    photo-8.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_1765.jpg
    IMG_1765.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 372
Hi Ritchy:
Those are the companion parts to the ones I cut up here in Canada.
I tried to cut those, but no way could I get the tiny slots to work out acceptably with 0.004" wire on my machine.

For those who are interested, these parts are really really tough to do; several very accurate indexes needed on 3 separate axes and the kind of micro features you'll vaporize if you even just look at them wrong.

Excellent work; I'm impressed and envious of your Vertex!!
Unfortunately others will have to chime in on the questions you asked; I have no idea how to run an Agie.

Here's what some of the other parts in the assembly look like.

Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix – Design & Innovation - home
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Attachments

• 1 bore yoke.jpg
    1 bore yoke.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 284
  • paddle.jpg
    paddle.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 289
  • 2 bore yoke.jpg
    2 bore yoke.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 294
  • cross tubes.jpg
    cross tubes.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 238
  • lots of parts.jpg
    lots of parts.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 262
Ritchy,

I can't remember which flavor of Vision control is on the twin-wire Vertex you have, but it should not be necessary to decipher tech numbering schemes.

Once you set up a machining operation on a piece, and you give it the material, wire used, and "technology height", you should then be presented with the correct options for technology depending on the accuracy and surface finish you define.

You can of course edit "on the fly" on that control, but other than reducing power on a first pass a bit, I don't believe any further tweaking should be necessary.

PM

Post edit, missed the post by precisionmetel and basically wrote the same.

You may not get an exact match with piece height and wire ect but it's sometimes a case of using the best fit and adjust the tech to suit.

Pm me you email and I'll send you a pdf explaining teccut and how it works and a full explanation of the parameters in the technology

Hi Mark:
Those grooved tubes you describe are the other part of the project I was not able to cut successfully on my wire.
I was unable to get decent geometry of the groove with 0.004" wire: it just looked like a pig's breakfast under the scope.
My current machine is not really ideal for this level of work; 0.004" wire is a real struggle to run on my machine because the wire transport system can't accommodate it very well.

I'll be most happy to continue to refer this ultra small diameter wire stuff your way whenever it crosses my desk.
Be sure to keep me up to date on how you're progressing with pushing the limits of your Vertex.
It'll be very useful to me for sure, to have a place I can refer to; this kind of work doesn't come up often, but with the amount of medical development work I'm getting these days, it seems to be growing.
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix – Design & Innovation - home
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

RITCHY,

I am crushed to hear of the loss of your Father.
Perhaps it was mentioned here before, but I have been away for some time establishing my business.
I am extremely sorry for your loss and this forum's loss.
Your Father was a well respected man here and helped countless others with his expert advice.

I think it is fantastic news that you and your brother are keeping the shop open.
Even better news that you had as much time around the shop with your Father to be as far along as you are.
Good luck and God bless..

Jay Crumb

precisionmetal and Matt_W Thanks for your replies
I guess i did not explain that there are many technologies available in Teccut for the larger wire diameters but nothing for wire smaller than .003-.07mm. If I select a wire size smaller I get the message "technology for this size wire is not available". The machine is old enough now where the control has been upgraded several times and the Agie techs are more familiar with the newer controls. I opened a file and at the top selected AgieDB or Agie database, it then populated the window on the right with many tech files in code, you can select any of these and use it or rename it as a user tech file. Knowing what the coding means exactly would be a time saver.
Mark
Wire EDM - Electrical-Discharge Machining by Engineering Techniques, Inc.
[email protected]

precisionmetal and Matt_W Thanks for your replies
I guess i did not explain that there are many technologies available in Teccut for the larger wire diameters but nothing for wire smaller than .003-.07mm. If I select a wire size smaller I get the message "technology for this size wire is not available". The machine is old enough now where the control has been upgraded several times and the Agie techs are more familiar with the newer controls. I opened a file and at the top selected AgieDB or Agie database, it then populated the window on the right with many tech files in code, you can select any of these and use it or rename it as a user tech file. Knowing what the coding means exactly would be a time saver.
Mark
Wire EDM - Electrical-Discharge Machining by Engineering Techniques, Inc.
[email protected]

Mark,

I know that for the progress, the data base for the fine wire tech comes with a kit to converts the machine to run fine wire. Assume it would be the same sketch for your machine.

Just had a look at the raw tech file in note pad and wouldn't want try editing it there. Through the pdf I have sent you, it should explain what tech values control what, when it comes to editing the tech at the machine.

Not had to do this on my Progress but on my old hss, I know I would sometimes run smaller wire with thicker wire tech, Obviously there was a bit a of playing about with the tech, namely reduce the 'D' (offset value) to suit the new wire, The D value is half your wire plus gap, so work out the gap and add that to the size of the wire you are actually using. Then I'd bring the 'P' value right down to start with, if this didn't stop it snapping, the 'I' value was next. This is current and I'd probably have to lower this, doing so alters the spark gap but depend how much you have to reduce it by to stop it snapping might not make that much difference. Obviously it depends on the tolerances you're working to but it didn't effect any of the parts I made, and I was working to ±0.02mm. If you're working to a gnats cock hair tolerances, you could always do a test cut to work out what size the new values cut. Also when doing this with Aluminium I had to lower the 'ish' value to -4. This is the machine behavior when it shorts, and lowering it makes it less aggressive.

Matt

Condolences to you and your family in the face your recent tragedy. Unfortunately I can't provide any incite as to your current problem.

Thanks Jay
Your comments mean a lot to us. Yes dad was a teacher, he would share his knowledge with anyone who showed interest. He definitely lead by example. He never smoked or drank. My brother and I figured we had at least 20 more years to learn from him.

Thank you very much Matt

Thanks Doug

Not a problem, Let us know how you go on or if you need anymore help.

I'm also very sorry to hear about your sad loss.

Back