What's new
What's new

AgieCharmilles V Makino wire EDM???

Rasmus

Plastic
My company are opgrading our Wire EDM dep. Today we have 3 robofil 300 + 1 robofil 390.

Have it down to 2 machines. AgieCharmilles cut 3000 ore Makino U6 H.E.A.T.

The U6 Is 1/2 the price the Cut 3000. Is it that much better?

Hi Rasmus:
I'm willing to bet that either machine will be as good as the other in most important respects.

The only thing that will differentiate them from your point of view, is the convenience factor.
If you're already a Charmilles shop, there will be an advantage to getting another Charmilles, but it will only be a small advantage.

The other thing is the convenience of service; go with the company that can meet your service needs best.
All will break or have issues eventually, and your ability to get them running again quickly and without being gouged by the service guys will be more important than whether the machine is painted grey or orange and comes from Japan or Switzerland.

It is true, however, that some machines do particularly well on specific kinds of jobs, so if your work is highly specialized, you may find it worthwhile to stick with a manufacturer who's product has been good for you in the past.
However, if your past experience is with a machine 20 years old, all bets in that regard are off; things have changed a lot since the 90's.

If your work is truly unique, I'd invite all the possible contestants to show you what their machines can do on your parts. (not their demo parts; YOUR parts).
Get them to program, set up and run a part while you watch; you'll learn a lot.
Cheers

Marcus
Implant Mechanix – Design & Innovation - home
Vancouver Wire EDM -- Wire EDM Machining

Don't really know either machine but we have always had Agie Charmilles machines and never had any problems with any of the machines or with the service. I'll always go with AC until they give me a reason to change. Love our Progress and can't say enough good things about it.

The cut 3000 looks a stunning machine and would be my choice.

Rasmus,

It sounds like you have a challenging decision to make! I am the EDM Product Manager for Makino, and I am willing to help answer any technical questions you might have about the U6 H.E.A.T. machine. For starters...what type of work do you do, what are the typical work piece sizes, and what are your current EDM bottlenecks or issues?

The U6 H.E.A.T. is a new machine, but the design and mechanics are 100% proven and borrowed from the U32j/U53j Series product, and there are many features that are designed to reduce machine maintenance or make life easier for the Operator. The U6 represents new developments and the future of Wire EDM technologies. The (2) main items to discuss would be Makino's HyperCut machining technology, and the new Hyper i control system.

HyperCut machining technology incorporates new generator hardware that delivers superb surface finish with high accuracy. The technology can produce a 3umRz / 16uinRa surface finish using brass wire in just 3 Pass Machining (1 Rough, 2 Skim Cuts). This new benchmark in performance typically requires 4 or 5 pass machining, and represents a 20% Cycle Time and 14% Wire Consumption savings over previous Makino technology. HyperCut settings have been developed for Steel materials up to 200mm (8.0") tall for Optimal and Poor Flush conditions. Conditions for Carbide have also been developed.

Makino's new Hyper i control brings new meaning to the term "Use-Friendly"! The control utilizes a large 60cm (24") High-Definition touch screen display that works and functions like a Smartphone or tablet with simple Pinch, Pull, and Drag operation. The goal of the new control was to make operation inviting and intuitive for the operator, and to also inspire interest in EDM for tomorrow's next-generation operators and engineers. There are MANY items on the new control that make operation easier and streamlined for the operator, and there are many helpful features or Apps on the system that further enhance operation. The design of the new control was again to address the needs of the operator!!!

Please let me know your interest, as I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss the Makino U6 H.E.A.T. machine in more detail, and how it might help your specific needs!

-Brian

I'm already in contact with my local Macino rep. and are aware of many of the benefits with Makino. I'm looking for user experience
Thanks.

Go Makino!
There are many reasons, but the best one is maintanance. Makinos require almost no maintanance. Its impressive.
Charmilles/agie on the other hand require daily maintanance.

Some say makino's will rust your parts faster, and that is true, but usually the di settings on a makino are double that of the charmilles.
That can easily be changed to get the same rust results.

Daily maintenance? ya like rinse the work tank. check the water level. What a friggen boz.... Never mind! lol But seriously what are you talking about as far as maintenance? Which machines are you talking about Agies, Charmilles AgieCharmilles? Oh and thanks for confirming that you parts WILL rust faster on the Makino My choice is rinse the tank or have my parts rust faster gotta love it! As far as i'm concerned All machines today will cut well and hold a couple of tenths and you cant go wrong with any of them. It's when you want to do better than that or you have specific applications IE: small wire, super fine finishes, unattended running that require more homework in picking the right machine for you.

Back