What's new
What's new

Agiecut 100 issues

glbreil

Cast Iron
I have posted about this a couple of times but have recently made some headway and need a little more advice.

I was having two different problems at the same time and it really confused the issues.

The first was a non-stop false 420 error. I finally have that fixed. It was a cable problem between the WID-05B board and the main computer cabinet.

The other issue is that the motor that drives the brake wheel will just occasionally take off running as fast as it can. It is usually when the machine is idle at a M00 stop or after a wire break but not always. When that happens it just pulls wire off and fills the tank because the belt transport motor is off. The only way to stop it is to hit the E-Stop.

I have tried replacing the DMD-03 and the DWC-01.

Any help would be appreciated on what other boards could be the problem or anything I might do or check.

Also this motor drives the wire during threading and I think it provides wire tension. Am I correct on that?

Thanks Gary

Different machines but, on our Charmilles Robofil and Agie-Charmilles CUT machines runaway wire-feed is due to a bad controller connection @ the wire-feed motor.

The wire feed works seems to work fine. It is the brake wheel motor that is running away. When it does it pulls wire off the spool.

If I understand how it works the only time the brake wheel motor actual pulls wire is for threading. The rest of the time it acts as a break to put tension on the wire.

I have checked all those connections and tried replacing the board DMD-03.

Any other thoughts.

Thanks Gary

so i ran agie classics and excellence. i had similar issues when my contact above the brake motor would be dirty, the machine would think there was no wire in the spool.even tho there was obviously tention on the jockey roller (tention metre) the lack of contact suggest the spool was empty and the brake motor would go spinning. in the upper head were the wire runs in above the brake wheel theres two wires one to a touch plate for if the wire buckles the other to a funnel piece. that contact says weather the wire is acualy in the upper head or not.it probly has a good wear mark in it so a 90-180 deg rotation will get you going.

after googling images the funnel looks acrylic and up to the top left of the brake wheel in there (assuming its the same) should be a carbide cylinder with a wire going to it. hope this helps

let me get this straight the threading motor is activating and spooling wire out of the upper head at an M00 intermittently, is this the problem?
so the motor is only used for threading. the brake is the giant metal ring that is behind the brake wheel. Do you have the A manual that came with the machine? it will include schematics and you can see if the thread enable signal is activating. if not i will pull prints tomorrow and get info to you.

Thanks for the response Agieman,

I have added a picture showing the motor I am talking about. I have been calling it the brake wheel motor because the wheel has the brake rings on it and is the one that has the pizza cutter above it on the upper head.

You are correct, it will intermittently take off and unspool wire. A whole spool if you don't catch it.

It sometimes happens at an M00 or a wire break or sometimes after you have pushed the wire advance button on the hand box. I have seen it happen both with the wire threaded and unthreaded. Not saying it won't, but I haven't seen it do it while it was actually cutting, always when the machine is stopped.

The last time was Saturday it was cutting a part. I came back to the machine and it was at a M00 and was spooling wire off.

I could not see any indication that the machine was telling this to happen. No buttons lit on the hand box. I did everything I could think of to stop it. The stop on the hand box did nothing. Finally I cut the wire above the brake wheel and everything stopped except that brake motor in the picture. It just kept running even though it no longer had wire to pull. I had to hit the E-Stop to get it to quit.

I do have a the schematics but I have not really been able to figure out exactly what is powering up that motor, I can follow it back to the DWC-01 Board but I can't figure out what would trigger that motor to run. The schematics seem to lack any kind of legend so I have a hard time making sure I am looking at the correct thing, if that makes any sense. Can you point me to a specific page and points to check?

Thanks Gary

One last question; is the sole purpose of this motor for wire threading?

I had in my mind, probably because of the break rings that it provided tension on the wire according to the HW setting on the control. If indeed the sole purpose of this motor is for wire threading I could just add a switch and turn it off after the wire is threaded so there is no danger of dumping a spool of wire in the tank and turn it back on for threading.

Attachments

• agie brake motor.jpg
    agie brake motor.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 521
Last edited:
Hi Gary, yes the sole purpose is threading and threading only. the tension is applied by the brake portion directly behind the black brake wheel. the speed of the motor is measured by a dynamo on the back of it. it is possible that the motor itself is the problem. I believe you stated that you changed the DMD-01 and the DWC. Is the software correct on the DWC, does it match the rest of the machine?

Thanks for the replies, I really appreciate the help. I have tried replacing the DMD-03. It is an 03 not an 01 if that makes a difference.

I did also try replacing the DWC - 01 and no matter what I have done I got the same result.

I also tried replacing the entire head and got the same result.

Originally I was having the false 420 issue mixed in with this problem of the threading motor taking off and that really confused everything. I got that fixed by redoing a the cable from the J3 plug on the WID-05 board to the J7 on the main back board.

As far as the software goes I have no idea. My machine is a 1985 and several years ago I bought another 1985 for parts. Everything seems to be the same but if there are different software versions that could be a problem. I did get the same symptoms with all parts.

Thinking back I am not sure I have tried the other DWC board since getting the cable fixed.

I also think I need to take a closer look at the brake after hearing your description. I think I might have been confusing it with the motor. After what you said I guess the little pulley that has the clogged belt to the right of the brake wheel is actually the motor. Is that right?

And the brake is the large object directly behind the brake wheel that only has two black wires going to it. Is that correct?

Thanks again for the help. Gary

Hi Gary, there are 3 essential pieces to the pivot head
1. the brake which is the big unit behind the black wheel
2. the threading motor which is connected to the brake shaft by a toothed belt
3. encoder which is connected to the brake shaft by the o-ring belt.

on the DWC-01 you will find an EPROM (chip with a sticker on it or a window) the sticker will have the FW version on it. 05.04.02 for instance.
if you do psm 41-7 i think it will flash the FW version in the led area of the panel. Also, there are 2 SBC-01 boards with EPROMs and they should have stickers with the level on it as well.

Thanks I will check that out. Do they all have to match exactly?

I may go ahead and clip the wire to the threading motor and see if I can do some cutting while I try to get this ironed out. Right now I can't do anything with out standing right there with it.

Thanks Gary

Okay this is what I found for software versions.

PSM 41-9 = AGIE0508 A
DWC-01 = FW0506 0
SBC-01 = FW0508
SBC-01 = FW0508

My spare boards are as follows:

DWC-01 = FW0506 0
SBC-01 = FW0507
SBC-01 = FW0507

I have been running the machine without any problems for about 8 years so I have to assume the boards should be compatible.

I haven't tried swapping the SBC boards could they affect it?

Thanks Gary

yes the SBC-01 (MS) not the cnc one. you have to change the EPROMS so the correct FW stays in the machine. also the DBE-01 could cause it too, there are 2 of those and you can swap them.

Okay thanks, I think I am going to set myself up a switch in the threading motor power leads so when I am not standing there I can switch it off to eliminate the danger of dumping a spool of wire in the tank, then start swapping the boards one at a time to see if I can figure out which one might actually be the problem.

Any suggested order, one that is the most likely the culprit?

Thanks again for your help.

Gary

I just wanted to Thank Everyone and especially Agieman, I am cutting some parts again on my old machine. I don't really have it totally fixed but I have the problem eliminated and once I get caught up a little I will start swapping out the rest of those boards one at a time to find the root of the issue.

Thanks for all the help. I hope I can do the same sometime. Gary

Back