What's new
What's new

Technology files

ErnieD

Cast Iron
Hi,

A friend has a Brother HS-5100 wire EDM machine. He is in need of the tehcnology files. He thinks that the files for a HS-3100 or a HS-3600 will also work. If anyone has these files and are willing to share them that would be great.

On another line; does anyone know anything about cutting graphite using a wire EDM machine?

Thanks,

ErnieD

Wirecutting graphite

Hi Ernie,

Sorry I can't help you with the Brother tech files, but for wirecutting graphite, my choice is Cobra Cut B from GISCO/Berkenhoff.

Graphite cuts slowly because it has low electrical conductivity and a high sublimation temperature. CCB has a copper core that has higher conductivity than brass and is alloyed with a small amount of magnesium to increase its tensile strength. It has a zinc oxide coating for faster speed, better flushing and fewer wirebreaks. This wire is softer than hard brass at about 600 N/mm2 (hard brass is 900 N/mm2), so obtaining very straight parts and sharp geometry will be slightly more difficult than a harder wire and autothreading reliability may be reduced.

The new gamma-phase wires are reported to work well also but I don't have any personal experience with these against graphite.

One final note... the finer grades of graphite will wirecut better than coarser, less-dense grades and copper-infiltrated graphites cut even better.

I hope this helps. On this subject, can anyone else help Ernie with info on the performance of the newer gamma-phase wires against graphite?

Regards,

Bud

Ernie

I'm not sure if the HS3100/5100 can back up it's technology settings.
It only has the original brocomm program to communicate with the machine, and the backup menu only backs up all the programs from the machine without the techs.
Having said that though, it is easy, albeit timeconsuming to re-enter all the techs. The originals can be found in the programming manual and hand copied back in.

Again, if there is a way to get them out, let me know and I'll send them to you.
And I think all the HS3100, 3600, 5100 and perhaps even the 50A uses the same techs, as they all have the very same generator.

To all that replied, my friend paged through the manual and found out how to bring up the files. He made a test burn today and was pleased with it. He asked that I forward his thanks to those who took the time to reply.

I will add my thanks also. You are a great group of guys.

ErnieD

Back